When you download...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Smelnick, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Obviously for music, you probably hang onto it right?

But what about movies and shows? Do you keep it all, burn it to disc and hang onto it? Or do you delete it once you watch it?

When I download a season of a show, I usually don't delete any episodes, until I'm finished watching all the seasons. Just in case I gotta go back and rewatch something I forgot about and they referenced in later episodes. But movies, I delete after I watch them. I don't see a point in hanging onto them. I can just redownload another time if I wanna watch them.

How about yourselves? When you download, how to you manage the files? Delete after you watch, organize them on a special harddrive, burn them to disc? There's a plethora of methods out there, which one is yours?

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Nope. I have an external hard drive I use for all my media. I guess you could call me a media packrat. If I download it, I keep it forever. I have music and movies still from when I got my first PC 8 years ago. Now that I actually have a DVD burner I can watch those movies on TV.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

If I really like it, I guess I'll keep it to watch again. Though, the only series I have done that with so far is Babylon 5. I have all 5 seasons in a folder somewhere.

I used to have a folder with all my downloaded films in (it wasn't that many) but I wasn't watching them more than once so in the end I decided to just delete it and if I want to see them again I'll just watch from a website. In fact, I don't even really download shows or films any more I just watch straight from sites.

4. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

I keep a lot on my main HD, but I also have it all backed to an external and another computer. Too many times in the past have I lost loads of material due to crashes. My external is very old now, too, which I need to upgrade. It can only store 111GBs, and my other PC is getting old as well, holding only 216 GB.

I'm very organized, but I do have several unsorted "incoming" folders.

5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't see the point in deleting anything i've downloaded, unless it was a failed download, or really bad quality. I find it weird that people would. I know you can download it again, but then you have to wait it out again. I just keep mine stored on my computer. It's actually getting a little full so i'm gonna have to see about getting me one of those external hard drives.

6. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I keep everything on a external hard drive, mainly because I won't want to download it again.

7. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

once i download something, i never delete it. i save it in a personalized folder or send it to my external HDD.
    i may re-watch it again.

8. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Download it, burn it onto a DVD and then delete it. At the rate I used to download stuff, my computer would've been overloaded with movies and TV seasons. When it comes to a TV season though, I watch them and then keep them for a while, if it's a really good series, I might even watch them all again before deleting it.

9. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Given the bandwith I have, I keep everything I download, but my speed and bandwith are not even capable of movies or series or whatever...

So all in all, I keep it in a folder on my PC, I really do need an external HD though, got a lot of songs here.

10. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

I keep everything I download unless I need the space for something else. When I start running out of space I will go through and delete songs I never listen to or files I have never bothered opening. If I still need space I start burning less desirable media onto DVD.