When you die

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Skylar, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

what do you think happens to you?

I've heard tell you just stop existing, that's it.

Others say you go to heaven or a hell forever.

and yet others, you are re-incarnated.

What do you think?

and WHY do you think that?

Parents,church, friend or experience make you feel that way?

Jakey-D and kiwi like this.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think we just stop existing. That's not exactly my favorite thing to believe, but it's the most likely and the most reasonable to me.

3. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

Then what is your purpose of a life now?

What is the sense... if we just die, and that's it? Seems meaningless, no?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Well, I think our original purpose was to live and breed, but because we got so advanced, we think that our purpose in life is to make money, have a career, achieve success and happiness, or even prepare for the next life, etc.

We make the purpose of our lives much for complex and meaningful than it really is because we don't like thinking that this is all we have. It's not a pleasant feeling.

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I suppose it would be a lot like before we were born eh?

I think we continue to exist in some sort of afterlife. I don't have any idea what it is but I think it is some how contingent on what you do in this life. I also dont think it matters what you believe but how you live your life. However if there is no afterlife then the Buddhists have it right to an extent, if we die. We achieve Nirvana and cease to exist.

If there is an omnipotent being, there could be some sort of judgment. But I think a being so powerful or almighty wouldn't care if you went to mass every Sunday, perform the Salah, or were able to recite the Torah. The being would either be completely indifferent to our existence and just exist. Or would only care about the overall result of our lives and assess what type of life we lived. By what standards who knows. The religious texts give us some insight and its hard to completely dismiss all the things they have in common. But they were still written by humans...

I can understand both approaches that theists and atheists bring to the table. But I think it is irrelevant to try to debate it and nearly impossible for us to comprehend this concept or dismiss either side completely.

My heart says we continuing existing, my brain says we cease to exist.

Wouldn't it be crazy though if whatever concept we believed concerning the afterlife would be our personal afterlife.

So people who believe in God go to heaven and atheist would just cease to exist.

It's something to ponder...

kiwi likes this.
  6. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I love how people think that just because you don't believe in life after death or because you don't believe in god, you don't value life.

I feel the same way, about nothing happening when you die. But I'm not about to kill myself just because it's meaningless and all in vain to keep on living.

And chances are, I believe much the same thing about life as most other people. Just that I find it hard to believe that when I die a part of me that I've never been able to see, and there's no documented account of ever in the history of man other than in sci fi books, travels through the very fabric of space and time to a completely different world where I'll either be set on fire for the rest of time, or I'll have to praise the big man.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

If that's true, then screw this, I'm taking up a religion. So who's got the best Heaven Package?

8. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

As much younger, I used to believe in Hell and Heaven, and times changed and I still kind of think of it, but I recon we just stop existing.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

We can have our memory, personality, senses, etc; stripped via disorders of the brain. So there's plenty of reason to think that death represents the end of most of what we are. It would be odd, though, if our feeling of being itself were turned off like a light switch upon death. We often think that it is like nothing to be in a dreamless sleep, but we simply cannot remember if it is or not, since memory is a very physical process, whereas consciousness itself may not be.

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

If we stop existing. What are we? Where are we? It's those questions that keep me thinking for hours. We have to be something/somewhere surely.

It's like someone saying "imagine the world didn't exist." If the world didn't exist and there was "nothing" then what is "nothing". Nothing has to be something. I'm going to stop being it's getting me confused again!!

Chaos likes this.