• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When will USA stop existing as a nation??

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Took this from another forum, and I found his comments rather interesting. What are your thoughts on the topic in hand, and his thoughts?

America is a dying nation, and this is painfully obvious to me. It reached its golden age years ago, and has been in rapid decline ever since. The debt that America is in is beyond the point of paying. A great depression may come soon. Great radical changes have taken place within the Obama administration. I predict that this country will be totally finished, meaning the name of the country itself will stop existing, within 25-50 years.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I actually was saying this a couple of years ago, that the US as it has existed will probably cease to exist in about 50 years. Lately I've said Obama is speeding up that process. I don't think as a nation we can continue down this path. I think the vast size of our debt and entitlement programs are going to doom this country. With dramatic changes that may not happen, but I'm not convinced that is going to happen.

MindoverMaster

Registered Member
Aren't we not the only one? There are several other countries that are bad as US.

But, I do agree, nothing is improving. All they care about is spending money on crap, almost nothing on home.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Seems outlandish to me. The United States had recessions all the time prior to the formation of the Fed, implementation of the New Deal, and WWII. The recent recession was far from the worst of them. This is a nation that was threatened to be split in half by a civil war, but survived it. The many reforms made throughout the 20th century were as radical if not more so than anything that has been done recently. If anything, our failing has been forgetting history, and taking prosperity for granted. We invested too much at the top, and began ignoring those at the bottom, and were then surprised when investors were investing to capitalize on the demand created by other investors, and no real demand emerged to keep the investment bubble from popping. Who was ever supposed to buy all those houses when the rich became richer, the poor became poorer, and the middle class began disappearing?

The main failing of Obama, has been one of tone. He stepped into office with the grim demeanor of Lincoln, instead of the optimistic tone of Reagan or FDR. When Lincoln was in office, he was face-to-face with what could have been the imminent breakup of the union. Obama is faced with a recession exasperated by a failure of confidence. His ability to instill confidence was part of what got him elected, and smartly so, but since being elected he has been too cautious. As such, it was up to government policies alone, as well as the natural ebbs and tides of the market; to dig us out of the recession. They did, and we are seeing the beginning of the end, but things could have gone better.

In any case, even as America will likely end up in an equal tripartite division of world power, between itself, Europe, and China--and is really already in that position--for the country itself to breakup would be a strange bucking of historical and recent trends. While empires of conquest have risen and fallen throughout history, for the most part we have seen states grow larger through mutual cooperation done in an effort to wield more international influence; and facilitated by the growth in information and communication technologies. A Soviet Union style breakup seems unlikely, due to the historical ties between our states, and how strongly we identify as Americans, over and above, say, Michiganders or Northerners.

As for present political divisions and rage: I see no way they can survive a revival of the economy. They are also overplayed, as partisans and radicals tend to shout the loudest. Moderates still determine who will be elected, there are a lot of them, and they prefer cooperation between the parties. The results of the most recent election owe mainly to anti-incumbent sentiment that simply pealed back some of the gains the Democrats made when they rode into power on their own raft of anti-incumbent sentiment.

If you look at the big picture, everything happening recently seems a hiccup, and not enough to spell the end of the United States by a long stretch.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Welcome to the TeaParty. haha....

Its possible. But as the world shifts from a finance driven economy to a resource driven economy, the US should fare very well. We have the technology and land to be a food exporter again. We also have an abundance of energy in various forms. Plenty enough to be a net exporter. I think the transition will be tough, but in the end well worth it.

And in regards to the massive amount of debt we carry, there is hope that things are moving in the right direction. The presidents commission of debt just came out yesterday with some excellent suggestions. If we can make some of those changes, such as social security and military reform along with a drastic decrease in federal spending we can turn things around.

One thing for sure, America will be a completely different nation in 10 years. The question and the fight really is are we going to be more statist or less.

Reactions: Sim

JAdams

Registered Member
It doesn't surprise me. We're gonna change. All nations do. Think France is the same as it was in the 1700s? No!

We'll still be here, obviously. We're not going anywhere. We'll just be living in a different form of America. Would our Founders be disappointed? Maybe. But one could ask the same of King Louis XVI. Would he be disappointed in what France is now?

The media really needs to stop acting like all life as we know it in the USA will end as soon as our nation ends. (I can't be making this up. I'm sure there are some that do act like that.)

Last edited:

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
The nature of sovereignty in all countries will likely change in the coming century: Globalization has meant that multi-national corporations are now larger than most governments. Unless Capitalism spectacularly falls on it's ass then we will be feeling the effects of multi-nationals desires for social and economic changes rather than governments. Sponsored countries and consumer driven destinations are very probable.

But at the very least 'America' is too strong a brand to disappear. It will always exist as a name or concept.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I do not think it is reasonable to think the USA will no longer be, the USA. Maybe in 100's of years from now States may break away from it, but the USA will still exist I think.

I do believe the USA will fall from being a world super power. History shows no super power lasts forever, and the same will be true of the USA, eventually.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It doesn't surprise me. We're gonna change. All nations do. Think France is the same as it was in the 1700s? No!

We'll still be here, obviously. We're not going anywhere. We'll just be living in a different form of America. Would our Founders be disappointed? Maybe. But one could ask the same of King Louis XVI. Would he be disappointed in what France is now?

The media really needs to stop acting like all life as we know it in the USA will end as soon as our nation ends. (I can't be making this up. I'm sure there are some that do act like that.)
This is pretty much my opinion as well.

The US Nation will still exist, however as times happen it Evolves as does everything. The USA as the Framers wanted it already evolved beyond any recognition and that only took what? 100 maybe 150 years.

The USA we see today will not be the same in the next 100 years... but I don't blame the Politicians for that. For the progression or regression of the nation lays within the People. We vote who goes in, we vote what happens, we decide what rights we want to abolish for the "safety" of the masses, we decide as a mass where the nation moves even if that Mass decides to destroy amongst itself (ie: civil war, civil rights, etc etc).

To think that the Nation will up and go away is farfetched to me. Many nations much much older have gone through hardships possibly worse than any the US has seen, maybe not financially but most definitely worse. And yet as mentioned in the case of France... it may operate different than it did in the 1700's... but its still France today.

I do not think it is reasonable to think the USA will no longer be, the USA. Maybe in 100's of years from now States may break away from it, but the USA will still exist I think.

I do believe the USA will fall from being a world super power. History shows no super power lasts forever, and the same will be true of the USA, eventually.
The Law of Gravity works for Politics and Economics also. What goes up... must come down. Simple as that. So I believe noting history as you've done here is absolutely accurate and an obvious yet rarely utilized tool to viewing the future.