• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Games When will "Next-Gen" end?

dDave

V.I.P.
Even after the release of the Wii U, PS4, and XBOX One, people are still calling it "Next-Gen". Now, maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds pretty stupid to still be calling 7th gen "current generation" and calling 8th gen "Next-gen". 8th generation IS current, next gen should be considered 9th gen at this point should it not?

Now, I wasn't really paying attention to things like this when we made the jump from 6th to 7th, but I'm interested to know if it was a similar experience. Do people just think that saying "next-gen" sounds cooler even if by definition it is no longer accurate?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think it is basically dependent on what consoles you own at the time. I own a PS3 and 360 for example so at present I will call the PS4 and One next gen until I own one of those consoles. When I get a PS4 this year which I plan to for me the PS4 will be current generation but the One will be next generation.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Yeah, I think it will be called "next-gen" until the majority of gamers have a Xbone or PS4. That could take a few years.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with Gin and Det. Xbox One and PS4 still seem like "next-gen" to me because I don't have either of them yet. And since I probably won't be getting either console anytime soon, I don't know when next-gen becomes current generation. I guess when the current generation of consoles dies out and loses support from developers.