When walking down the street..

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Is it bad manners to look someone in the eye?

Well, I usually do look at them through dark sunnies, but when without them, I'll just have a glance, but if it's a girl, yeah. I'll look.

Vegito728

Registered Member
I don't think it's "bad manners" to look someone in the eyes. It just happens. I almost always look at people's faces because it's just kind of natural and sometimes you can't help but look at their eyes.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I have to say I do look them in the eyes..And then I give the universal Sup nod to acknowledge their presents and keep going.

Great way to deter attackers who think you are in your own little Ipod world.

But as a rule of thumb you should always be aware of your surroundings at all times when you are out walking around now a days.

Should have made this topic a poll :nod:

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I usually look people in the eye and say hello or nod as I walk past them, unless it's on a crowded city sidewalk or something where there's a shitload of people. So no, I don't think it's rude to do that.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I try not to look anyone in the eye, honestly. I don't' know why, but I won't unless I'm trying to convey a totally serious point or say something without actually saying it.

Is it bad manners to look someone in the eye?

Well, I usually do look at them through dark sunnies, but when without them, I'll just have a glance, but if it's a girl, yeah. I'll look.
Nah, I do it all the time. Since noone elce does it, its a good way to meet people. I think you get a little more respect from strangers when you look them in the eye.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I never understood the concept of looking strangers in the eye, especially when it's a crowded street and you're going to pass people in less than 3 seconds. I always tend to be trying to get somewhere when I'm out anyways, so most of the time I simply get an overall scan of the person's body and their placement on the ground so I can get by them efficiently. This is especially the case with narrower paths and/or on a bike.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I try to avoid eye contact, just incase the guy's having a bad day. The only time I meet eyes is when I accidentally bump into or cut them off at an aisle or something.

I like to mind my own business. I find it awkward to suddenly meet eyes with a stranger. :-/

I look strangers in the eye all the time, but it generally when I'm doing things like opening the door for them (or when the opposite is true), or when talking to them.

Usually if I looks someone in the eye just casually, I'll give them a nod.