• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When To Stop Giving Aid.

Dabs

Registered Member
Here is a question that has seriously been on my mind since hurricane Thomas: When do we stop giving aid to Haiti and stat expecting them to get out of their tents and start helping themselves??

Tennessee was flooded out. People lost homes, farms.. even the Grand Ol' Opry was flooded. The Opry is way uphill from the river so that was a serious flood. It was on the news maybe twice and I never heard of any aid being sent.

Same thing for the floods in the midwest or the burnt out neighborhoods in California and Colorado.

Yet, Haiti had an earthquake almost a year ago and they haven't turned a screw to help themselves because they are receiving aid for sitting on their asses. WTF? They are waiting for someone else to come in and fix their problem. There is no incentive to do anything but complain that all the other countries aren't doing enough for them because we all haven't gotten them rebuilt yet.

I'm sure there are disasters with similar outcomes in Europe that we never hear about. I haven't heard of any aid being sent to the town in Hungary was it that was flooded with chemical waste. Actually, it has been mentioned so little I'm not even sure I have the right country yet I'm sure it was a devastating event.

So what gives? Just because you live in a country that isn't in the top 5 you don't have to get up and help yourself?

Any thoughts?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I totally agree that they should stop giving aid to Haiti. I would not disagree to help them but there should be a limit of time to help them out, like 90 days or so. Whether it would be in Haiti or New Orleans like Katrina. Citizens there need to get off there asses and start taking care of themselves instead of waiting for handouts.

Dekzper

Registered Member
You are def right! A lot of housing in Haiti is made of bamboo and that only takes 2 weeks to cure in a smokehouse. And ORE (the organization for the rehabilitation of the environment) has been helping them grow Guadua angustofolia bamboo for at least 5 years now. That kind of bamboo is very flexible in an earthquake and as durable as hardwood. Did they start cutting bamboo, curing it, and making houses? No. Are some people building houses and some people finding food? Well, they're just living in tents and being fed.
CO2 Bambu teamed up with WBO (World Bamboo Organization) to make Pre-fab Guadua bamboo housing for them. Do Haitians hate working? I dont get what's happening there! I dont just kwit if something bad happens.
We had an ice storm disaster here in 2007. They told us we needed to move to a city shelter. NO! We shut the door to the back part of the house so the wind couldn't get in. We had batteries so we used LED flashlights to light the undamaged part of the house. We put all the food outside where animals couldn't get it. That kept it all frozen till we needed it. Dad and some friends used chainsaws and I used an axe to help get trees and limbs off the streets and the yards. We stacked up mountains of limbs and tree trunks for the FEMA trucks to pick up. We even rebuilt the shed in less than a week and that's got 2 rooms and is big enough to live in!
Well, that's what I think. I just cant deal with people who just kwit!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I didn't say that. I'm asking, why do you say that? Obviously you know something about it, so please enlighten.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I didn't say that. I'm asking, why do you say that? Obviously you know something about it, so please enlighten.
Well, I wasn't the one who said "sitting on their arses". I was talking about kwitting. But I was hoping somebody would join the thread that has been there or knows something more.
As for kwitting, there's been tons of news about Haiti but i've never seen anything in the news about Haitians doing anything to rebuild. This is the last news thing I read and the others have been very similar. This was also on CBS news but they removed the story:
In Haiti, grass field shows need for grass-roots aid | Richmond Times-Dispatch

If anyone has more info, please join the thread. :)

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Who says that people in Haiti are sitting on their asses?
I said it, and here is my reasoning for saying that. Haiti is a failed state. Haiti has already recieved over 550 million dollars through donations and other countries. They are now waiting for 1 billion dollars that will be given to Haiti by the UN. That is utterly ridiculous. I admit I donated 25 dollars to Haiti when the tragedy struck, but I believe there should be a cap to how much money should be given to 3rd world countries or states when it comes to government money. Now the Red Cross and others like it should be able to take in unlimited donations until the donations cease. But the 1 billion dollars will be taken out of our tax dollars could definetly be used for something better than this. It doesn't make since to give a country a billion dollars if they didn't even have a billion dollars to start with.

Last edited:

Shwa

V.I.P.
I said it, and here is my reasoning for saying that. Haiti is a failed state. Haiti has already recieved over 550 million dollars through donations and other countries. They are now waiting for 1 billion dollars that will be given to Haiti by the UN. That is utterly ridiculous. I admit I donated 25 dollars to Haiti when the tragedy struck, but I believe there should be a cap to how much money should be given to 3rd world countries or states when it comes to government money. Now the Red Cross and others like it should be able to take in unlimited donations until the donations cease. But the 1 billion dollars will be taken out of our tax dollars could definetly be used for something better than this. It doesn't make since to give a country a billion dollars if they didn't even have a billion dollars to start with.
Nor did we have to help out other countries after WWII, but we did to restore connections with Europe and construct treaties with our foreign nations.

Yes Haiti is a 3rd world country, but parks of India and China are in the same situations, along with the Philipines (sp) when they have monsoons and tsunamis. But we aid them as much as we can sending food and helpers over to assist our fellow man. We're even aiding victims of the war in the middle east.

What happened in TN is indeed a tragedy, but just like New Orleans I believe they can come back stronger, and they do receive assistance last I've checked.

~Shwa

Dabs

Registered Member
Nor did we have to help out other countries after WWII, but we did to restore connections with Europe and construct treaties with our foreign nations.

Yes Haiti is a 3rd world country, but parks of India and China are in the same situations, along with the Philipines (sp) when they have monsoons and tsunamis. But we aid them as much as we can sending food and helpers over to assist our fellow man. We're even aiding victims of the war in the middle east.

What happened in TN is indeed a tragedy, but just like New Orleans I believe they can come back stronger, and they do receive assistance last I've checked.

~Shwa

Just my little 2 cents worth on this part....yes Tennessee received some help, but I would like to add, the majority of the help came from country music superstars, such as Trace Atkins, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Dolly Parton.....and the Grand Ol Opry is back open and better than ever.
But we only heard a small little bit about that devastating flood.....shit, floods like that don't happen in Nashville that often!
And I hate to see tsunamis, and hurricanes and earthquakes destroy other countries...but for gosh sake, shouldn't we be worried about our own too??
It seems every time some disaster happens somewhere else, they all come to the United States, asking for help.
Damn, we need the help ourselves too.