When someone tells you "no"

Or, "that's not a good idea." Does it make you stop and re-think your decision or does it make you all the more eager to go ahead and do it (whatever it may be) anyway?

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Depends on the person who said it. If it's someone who constantly lives in their perfect little box without venturing outside and taking risks, then i'm usually going to ignore them. If it's someone who is similar to me, living life 'dangerously' and taking risks, then yes I will listen to them.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Nope. I normally already have my mind made up. I'm a very independent person...and if I thought something was a good idea and mentioned it to someone else...I don't think I would care if they didn't think it was as good an idea as I did. In fact, in most cases, I wouldn't have even mentioned it in the first place.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There can be so many different situations with this question, so it's really hard to answer.

But I will listen to them if I'm not that confident about doing it and if they have a lot of experience and know what their talking about.

But if I strongly believe I can get it done, then I won't listen to the person no matter what.

Once again, it's hard to give a direct answer at this question.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I tend to rethink my plans because I realize there may be some people out there who are smarter than I am. Not saying you should always go along with the advice you're given, but it's extremely ignorant to not consider any of it, and even more so to do it just because you were advised not to. Being a rebellious teenager your entire life won't get you very far.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I was raised almost militaristically. So if I'm told No... chances are very very high that I will listen to it and stop what I'm doing without question. That is unless its coming from someone I have no respect for :hah: Then it doesn't matter to me what they say.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I tend to rethink my plans because I realize there may be some people out there who are smarter than I am. Not saying you should always go along with the advice you're given, but it's extremely ignorant to not consider any of it, and even more so to do it just because you were advised not to. Being a rebellious teenager your entire life won't get you very far.

Why is it "extremely ignorant" or equated to a rebellious teenager? Being confident in your decisions and relying on yourself isn't necessarily a negative here.

If they know better than me, I will usually listen, especially if it's something dangerous.

If it's something that I feel I need to do, even if it's a pretty big risk, then I can be stubborn and go ahead with it anyway. If I get it wrong, I'm fully aware it's my mistake and nobody elses. The biggest risk I took where everybody told me "no" got me where I am today. I have no idea what I'd be doing right now, and I would never have discovered something that I now really love if I'd listened to the advice from others.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why is it "extremely ignorant" or equated to a rebellious teenager? Being confident in your decisions and relying on yourself isn't necessarily a negative here.
Because usually if someone tells you "no" or "that's a bad idea" there's a good reason behind it. I said it's ignorant to not even consider the advice. You don't have to take the advice to at least consider it. Look at the original question. If you're more eager to do something in spite of advice that's been given to you, then I do equate that to being a rebellious teenager.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Because usually if someone tells you "no" or "that's a bad idea" there's a good reason behind it. I said it's ignorant to not even consider the advice. You don't have to take the advice to at least consider it. Look at the original question. If you're more eager to do something in spite of advice that's been given to you, then I do equate that to being a rebellious teenager.
It's not necessarily that you would even do it in spite. Maybe you just don't care what other people think. Sometimes, you have to stop leaning on other people and do what you feel is right. You'll never learn from your mistakes if you don't make any. Why down other people who are confident enough to make their own decisions?