When sleep eludes..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngelsPeak, Jan 8, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Once upon a time I had trouble sleeping. I would close my eyes and fall asleep within seconds. The problem: once those seconds turned into about an hour, I'd be wide awake and unable to fall back asleep.
    Then, the wonderful divorce fairy came along and granted me a life filled with promise. I gratefully accepted the gift along with the added bonus of finally knowing what it meant to sleep deeply and feel safe.
    Now, lifes problems have come along and reared their ugly little heads, causing me to go back to sleep deprivation. As if it wasn't bad enough before, now I can't even fall asleep, and when I finally do, my eyes pop open within moments, or I have a ridiculous dream that leaves me afraid to close them again.
    Anyone else have sleep problems? And if so, how do you deal with them?

Signed,

Sleepy in Michigan

*yawn*

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

When I have a hard time falling asleep, it's usually because my brain has decided to go in 52 different directions. I use meditation techniques to quiet my brain and that always helps.

If you are having bad dreams, you might want to try smudging your apartment. Buy some white sage and burn it in every room. Yes it sounds hippie and new age-y but it's actually a Native American ritual. White sage is believed to cleanse a space of any negative spirits or energies.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Well nothing against it Jeanie but I think Angels needs to actually deal with her problems rather than mask them. If your sleep problems are related to real life stress then there really is no other way around it, you have to handle those problems and gain some closure.

4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I always have trouble sleeping. For some reason, my body does not want to go to bed before midnight, ever.

I use an herbal sleep aid, melatonin. I've been out for ages. I plan on getting more this weekend.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

You're right Cons, I do need to, and have actually started the process. My problem is what to do in the meantime? My mind is in overdrive while my body is begging for sleep. I keep thinking over the counter sleep aids, but I'm afraid of becoming dependant on them.
    I'm just trying to find out what others do when they go through periods like this. I can't be the only one.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Well you don't necessarily have to go the Unisom route; there are any number of natural remedies you can try. Hyland makes a natural sleep aid; it's found in the OTC pain/sleep remedies aisle at Meijer.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It's very rare for me to have problems sleeping, I usually just close my eyes and I'm sleeping within five minutes or.

If I do, usually I just get up, put a cloth under cold water and then put it on my face for a few minutes. I know it sounds really strange, but afterwards when I try to go back to sleep it works.

AngelsPeak likes this.
  8. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

I have the same problem as you Angels. When I need to go to sleep I take some melatonin. Melatonin is the chemical that your brain releases as you sleep effectively not only helping you to fall asleep but also stay asleep. I take two delicious chewable supplements, Trader Joe's sells it in peppermint, instead of the advised dose of one though. You could always try that.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

You have to try and find something that clears your mind, something that distracts you or will keep your interest. It's not as simple as "get a hobby" obviously but it's close to what I'm getting it.

I hear liquor is good for that.

:lol:

10. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I have suffered from sleep problems for many years, I also suffer from some pretty heavy nightmares when I do sleep which makes it hard to get back to sleep.

I have tried calming my mind with meditation techniques and sometimes it works sometimes it does not.
    Just lately I have been keeping a sketch pad next to the bed and try to put whatever is going on in my mind to paper, quick sketches of whatever is getting to me, but not really concentrating on it, and it has worked to some degree.

I have thought about trying sleep aids but would rather not take them while one of the kids is still in my room.
    Most of the time I will get up and find something to do that is brain numbing for me, folding washing or sorting the kids toys out untill my mind just quits going a thousand miles an hour.