When Prisons Get Too Full?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

California has recently been ordered to reduce its number of inmates. Apparently the jails there are not big enough to hold them anymore, or they are costing too much money or something.

So, what should be done in this case?

I for one do not think releasing them or lightening the penalties (community service instead of jail time, for example) is the right solution.

What do you think should be done?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'm in favor of not giving them so many amenities, to save costs. Also, stop giving all citizens so many free things (many of which are counter-productive), and use that money to build more prisons.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Legalize marijuana.

That would probably free up plenty of space.

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Just legalize all drugs and prostitution while we're at it, so much space wasted on people when more serial killers and rapists could fill up those spaces.

5. Merc

I still don't know if I can agree with all drugs, but prostitution, yes.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I'm not on board with this whole legalizing prostitution and weed idea. Don't you just see our society - as a whole - going down if we ever decide to do that? I'm more for the pure society that has a clean image rather than the one I'm picturing with prostitution and weed being legal: run down and dirty.

As the population grows so does the crime rate. Build more prisons, hire more guards and you basically solved a couple of problems: job rate (hiring more people to look after these prisoners) and keeping the prisoners locked up. Heck, even building the prisons you'll have construction jobs start coming back. =D

7. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

This.

Also, give people lighter sentences that are charged with things that aren't very serious. Such as, possession of marijuana. :>

8. Merc

Society certainly went "up" after prohibition, too. :rolleyes:

People are animalistic, face it. Weed is hardly a problem and would not be compared to cigarettes and booze yet those are legal. Prostitution could also be regulated like it is in several other countries. Sex and drugs are appealing to most of humanity so why not make them legal but make sure they remain in good quality?

There are already a LOT of prisons though and for some reason, people don't like prisons in their neighborhoods so you'd never get the public backing this.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I recently discovered there's a good number of privatized prisons, and that at least one such organization is publicly-traded, and lobbies for harsher sentencing laws so they can make more money. There seems something very wrong to me, that the goal of a prison should be to have more prisoners, but there you have it. Frankly, I'd like to see marijuana legalized, and barring that, I would have no problem with cutting short or easing up on the sentences of those found guilty of drug-related charges.
    ------
    Wait... what? The number of crimes would presumably grow with the population, but I see no reason why the crime rate should rise with a population increase. The population of an area depends on where you draw the boundaries of the area, after all, and there should be no reason we should expect to find a higher crime rate for our looking at a larger, as opposed to smaller, area (all else being equal).

Edit: Furthermore, whereas I haven't tried to control for other factors or anything, I'm seeing no real correlation between population density and crime rates from the numbers and graphs available. Historically, we can see that people are less violent now than in the past, whereas we have also become more urbanized, but that doesn't necessarily show causation.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I've long been in favor of the death penalty as a method of both prevention and cure. In fact, Judge Roy Bean was one of my favorite heroes.

If we had a few more judges like him, we wouldn't have to worry about prisons at all. :D