When people pronounce things "wrong"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you correct people when they pronounce something differently than you know to be the correct pronunciation? I'm not talking about a different accent. I'm talking about when somebody simply says something differently than you say it. Do you question if you're right or do you correct them? Or do you say nothing at all?

I tend to just ignore these situations and move on.

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

It depends on how well I know the person and whether or not I think they would take offense to it.

I know a lot of people say mischievious when it is mischievous.

3. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to correct people. It's in my blood.

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Just the other day at work someone pronounced the word "weird" as "where'd" and I was like "Huh?!" and I made a big deal out of it. I was asking everyone in my team to say it and we all said it the correct way.

It didn't bug me but I did find it where'd.

5. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Of course I do, especially when someone is reading and I just have to recorrect them, gets me into trouble as it annoys the teacher

6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

If it's common, I ignore it, if they're the weird one, I bring it up.

7. Squeakers

Squeakers Registered Member

If it's someone I know I would be like huh? You say that weird, but if it's a stranger/client then I would probably just ignore it.

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I know someone who uses a lot of big words in apparent proper context but pronounces many wrong, as though he picked them up solely from written sources. As his dad, I do feel a sense of obligation to correct.

Boredie likes this.
  9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i can't move on without asking what it is and what it means... if it's pronounced that way or the way i say it.
    i'm like "maybe you mean ... this ...?" if it's possible i correct them or they correct me.
    there's nothing wrong but you should be careful when correcting so that the person won't take it as an offence [it depends on the individual]

10. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I generally ignore it. If it really seems odd to me, I'll say something.