When people go missing online?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If one of your online friends of acquaintances goes missing, how long do you wait before you start to worry?

For me it depends a lot on the person's track record for being online. If it's somebody who has literally been online every day for months (if not years) then I'll start to worry sooner. Maybe even after a week if they didn't mention anything about being gone.

If it's somebody who is off and on then I'll wait a few weeks to a month. There are some people I talk to online who show up a few times a month if that. There's really not much I can worry about when somebody is hardly online anyway. Even if something did happen to them I'd probably just forget about them. There are people I talk to maybe once every 8-10 months. If somebody like that dropped off the earth I probably wouldn't notice. I might wonder what happened but I wouldn't worry.

So what about you? How long until you start worrying about somebody when they go missing online?

I'm kind of the same as you. If it's someone I talked to a lot and got on with I'd worry sooner but if the person wasn't regularly online I'd be worried.

Thing is I tend to forget people rather easily except in forum circumstances. If it's just someone I talk to on aim for no reason really I forget who's who pretty easily. But if it's someone from a forum that I talk to on there and on aim or msn I get worried after like a week.

dont worry brixy cons'll come back..... then we might wish he were gone again but we'll still be happy to have our spunky bloggist back!

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Only a few people would I even be concerned with. And even then the people I would be concerned with I have other means of contacting (Phone xbox live etc).

Not just strictly AIM or GF.

I don't know if I hadnt heard from a few members in about 1-2 months I would be a little concerned. But I have found online friends come and go like that.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I cant believe you made a post this, but I'll answer anways.

It would really depend if I knew the said person, as in I actually communicate with him physically via cell phone, IM and e-mail. If all of that suddenly stopped then I would check to see if this said person was updating their personal page or whatever, maybe they are out of reach sometimes. It happens to all of us who have busy schedules and what not, lives pretty much.

I would get worried, but not to a point of freaking out unless I had some hard evidence or sightful resources that concluded this friend was in trouble.

~Shwa

A friend will occasionally be offline on aim or msn for a month or so, I'd just shrug and see who else is online. They explain for their absense, but it's not my place to butt in.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
It would depend on if they are someone who is online every single day or nearly every single day without fail or if they were just someone who goes online maybe a few times a week.
If someone who regularly comes online doesnt come online I would probably start to worry about them maybe after a week and a bit, 2 weeks roughly. Coz they might of gone on holiday etc.
For the people who come online less regularly I would say about 2 months before I start to worry about them.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Remember when I was "late" in logging on and you had a thread about how I hadn't showed up yet? :hah:

I've noticed when some people suddenly disappear especially if they post a lot or talk to me when they're on. I'm usually curious and may miss them but I'm not worried (unless last talk was disturbing like someone threatening their life, haha). Like with Sui, we're close but I'm used to him disappearing for days without notice. But maybe with Jeanie and Vegito, I would be concerned because I'm sure if it was a planned disappearance for a long period they would let me know in advance. If they didn't mention anything and they disappeared and couldn't be contacted (even by phone) for days, I'd worry.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I usually give the regulars about a week of being MIA before I start worrying or wondering where they went. Obviously no one is tied to the site by any means, not even Hybrix for that matter. Things in real life should always take precedence over making an online appearance :hah:

But yeah, usually a week is about my threshold for the curious MIA people. If they are someone that isnt a regular I'll probably take about a month or so to know they are missing. Usually that takes some sort of visual stimulate like a thread being revived that had their old post in it. I'll see it and wonder, man whatever happened to that member?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Depends on the person. Like if Hybrix disappeared without telling anyone or making an announcement on GF, then I'd be worried within a day or two. For the people I talk to regularly I'd give them about a week before I get worried and try contacting them by email or phone if I have their number. For the regular members that I don't necessarily talk to, maybe 3-4 weeks. Everybody else I probably wouldn't notice they were missing.

ILOVEUSA911

Registered Member
Depends on the person. Like if Hybrix disappeared without telling anyone or making an announcement on GF, then I'd be worried within a day or two. For the people I talk to regularly I'd give them about a week before I get worried and try contacting them by email or phone if I have their number. For the regular members that I don't necessarily talk to, maybe 3-4 weeks. Everybody else I probably wouldn't notice they were missing.
I'm like most, if it's someone I talk to on a daily basis and they don't let me know they'll be gone, I start worrying immediately. However, if it's someone I don't know that well I might wonder what happened to them but I don't think I'd be real concerned.

I was friends with a young man on another forum. Even though he was a lot younger than me, he liked talking to me. He was extremely overweight and got a lot of grief for it from his peers. He didn't sign on for a couple of days and I began to worry. I had asked for his address to send him a little christmas gift, so through that I was able to get his phone number. I called and his parents told me he died of a massive heart attack at the age of 25. I will forever miss him. Don't ever take the friendships you make for granted, cherish each and every one, because you just never know.