When is a pet totaled?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Mirage, Mar 25, 2009.

?

How much would you spend on your pet's medical bills at one time?

1. As much as necessary

40.0%
  2. $1,000-$2,000

20.0%
  3. $500-$1,000

30.0%
  4. $500 or less

10.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

With a car, generally you wouldn't spend too much money to fix it if it had already cost you a lot, was near the end of it's life, the bill would be too expensive, or whatever.

How about your pets? When do you consider a pet "totaled?"

For example, if you found out your pet had cancer and it would cost you $5,000 (or whatever that would be in your currency), would you even consider paying for it or would you tell yourself it's time to let the pet go and have it put down once the cancer got bad enough?

How much would you spend on your pet's medical bills at one time?

I won't lie, I think upwards of $500 is the most I'd be willing to spend towards a pets medical bills. Maybe up to $1,000 if I happened to have the extra cash at the time. I'd definitely not go into credit card debt to pay vet bills. That means if any of my pets get cancer it's not going to end well for them. I just think there are much more important things to spend that kind of money on if it came down to it. As sad as it would be if a pet got cancer or even a really bad injury, there's no guarantee that it could be saved anyway.

So, how much would you spend on your pet's medical bills at one time? If your pet had ongoing medical bills and things weren't getting better would you stop even smaller payments due to the fact that they add up?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Hmm that's a tough question. It depends on the age of the pet and my attachment to it. My current rabbit would be pretty much stuffed if she got really ill/seriously injured because she is kinda old and I never got attached to her. I'd obviously get her sorted out if it was affordable, but my point is I'd be willing to spend way more money on a dog or something that I actually loved as a pet.

If you want an average figure, then probably around the same as yours ($1000). Higher if it were a dog and I was doing well financially. Much less than that on my bunny (sorry biscuit).

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

At one time I would be willing to spend up to £1000 on a pet medical bill. If it needed ongoing treatment then I would keep spending the money on its bills even if it ment that the illness wasnt going to go away. I hate to put a price on how much I love my pet like this but that's what I would do.
    My previous pet got cancer and I paid the price for him getting the operation, but by then it was too late.

4. Paisley

Paisley Registered Member

I would agree with Nixola, as much as you can muster money wise the only time I would consider a pet "totaled" is that the animal is in pain and there is no cure/treatment then I would consider the injection for the long sleep.

5. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

For my pets, I would only spend a couple hundred. If they need ongoing treatments, I would probably have to give up and let my pet go because I would probably not be able to afford to keep my pet around. It would be hard for me but I would have no choice.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I remember another thread similar to this and there is no way to gauge that for me because my pets are my life. I'd do whatever I would need to ensure the pet was not in any pain first and foremost and then deal with whatever the situation is.

7. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

One time, our favourite cat got distemper (Its some disease, don't ask me to explain it) and he was almost dead. So we spent 500 bucks on medicine and equipment, and hooked it up to an IV of antibiotics ourselves at home. 2 weeks of special doting care brought him back to his old self. If an animal is VERY sick, we let them pass on though. By we, I mean my family lol.

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

It depends on how old the dog is.. if it were my 21 year old dog that I just had put down, I wouldn't have spent 5000 dollars on cancer treatments or anything...

If it were either one of my dogs now I would. They are both too young, and it would be worth it for me. I have already spent 5,000 dollars on my youngest dog to reconstruct both of her knees, but she was only 1-year-old and she would have not been able to walk most of her life if I didn't do it, so that was completely worth it.

My dogs are a part of my family, I made it my responsibility to take care of my pet when I got it just the way I would anyone else, and if I am not able to take care of my pet the way it deserves, then I should not have a pet plain and simple.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Id pay whatever I could afford or hope someone else could make it affordable(Id be knocking on my Dads door!)...however....as much as I love the little furry critter, he wont be the first or last pet in my life, I know I will probably outlive him anyway and its all kind of quantative in coming to acceptance.

I would do whatever I can whilst remaining realistic and I cant really put a price on that.

Didn't Icegoat have a similar thread recently.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

it depends on whether spending money on veterinary care would improve the pet's quality of life. if not, then no I wouldn't spend the money. I always trust my pets to let me know when they are ready to go.