• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When History is Changed or Altered?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
How open are you to sweeping plots that have the ability to change or alter a characters history as you know it?

~~~~~

Recently after digging through an astonishing amount of comics these last few months... I've found alot of my old Marvel Comic Knowledge to have become obsolete! Characters (good and bad, serious or supporting) I knew and loved have been pretty much erased or changed out of their respective characters world or history.

It sorta started for me with the sweeping changes in Captain America's world; Following the events of the Civil War (which happen to have been Marvels way of creating opportunities to shake the WHOLE Universe Up).

Now I've finally been getting my Amazing Spider-man subscription in (3 times a month I've learned!) and I couldn't help but notice there were a few pretty drastic things that happened and/or were missing! I read all of the civil war, but hadnt touched a Spidey comic afterwards. So there was a major hole in my readings (the last Amazing Spidey I read was #538!). So the whole "One More Day" & "Brand New Day" events happened in the 540's... those apparently made some major major impacts on Spideys life, ones I didnt even think Marvel would do!

I still havent read them btw... I just got so flustered reading the #593 that I had to start looking up why certain things were different. Now that I read it on Wiki... well I'm a little stunned to be honest.

I'm not sure how to react to the fact that everything I had just learned and had learned about Spidey's world is pretty much useless now :hah: Im sure I'll bounce back though... I mean he's too good of a character to just write off because of a twist I wasnt ready for or didnt expect (or want) to see.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think it depends on how it happens, for me. Mistakes happen when they make so many comics - sometimes they accidentally print something that contradicts things written earlier, and I understand that they have to fix that.

And some things they change temporarily, to make things interesting (which is what I'm hoping with One More Day/Brand New Day. There's been enough outcry that I think there's a good chance, and either MJ or Peter said something which kinda sorta hinted that they might get back together).

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
And some things they change temporarily, to make things interesting (which is what I'm hoping with One More Day/Brand New Day. There's been enough outcry that I think there's a good chance, and either MJ or Peter said something which kinda sorta hinted that they might get back together).
Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if the "Mystery Girl" that was taking care of Parkers apartment while he was gone for those two months helping the Fantastic Four out might be some sort of weird tie in to MJ.

The other crazy one I read, but then again it was probably just some sour fans posting sarcastic remarks was; If you're going to change the flippin history that much... why not just bring Gwen Stacy & Uncle Ben back to :hah:. I can definitely see that being a big no no though. Those two pretty much need to stay dead for Spider-man to be Spider-man.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yeah, I'm kinda wondering if the "Mystery Girl" that was taking care of Parkers apartment while he was gone for those two months helping the Fantastic Four out might be some sort of weird tie in to MJ.

The other crazy one I read, but then again it was probably just some sour fans posting sarcastic remarks was; If you're going to change the flippin history that much... why not just bring Gwen Stacy & Uncle Ben back to :hah:. I can definitely see that being a big no no though. Those two pretty much need to stay dead for Spider-man to be Spider-man.
Gwen wouldn't have to stay dead. He was Spider-man before she died, and would stay Spider-man if she came back (although it would probably REALLY f- things up with him and MJ). Uncle Ben can't be re-written to have never died, but he can come back to life. As long as Peter remembers the lesson he learned, it should be fine.

(Although messing around with history is dangerous in general)