When do you stop reading a post...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swiftstrike, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I was thinking about this earlier today. I tend not to read incredibly lengthy posts unless it is a topic I am interested in and I am interested in what the poster has to say.

I would have to say on average if a post is longer than a paragraph (4-5 sentences) I usually skim the rest or stop reading completely.

All the one-liners I have a tendency to read.

And if the post is of a member I couldnt give a damn about I usually do not even read beyond one sentence.

However if its a member that I like or are interested in their opinion I will read pages if they type it (Constantine and Kaz are two that quickly come to mind).

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I always read the whole post. If it's super long or even short and boring and I go to respond then I have a tendency to forget some of what I just finished reading. Making the fact that I did read it a waste of my time.:rolleyes:

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I stop reading a post if it's too long and isn't going anywhere. Some people have a tendency to write a whole essay while not really saying anything that couldn't have been said in just a few sentences.

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

If it's an interesting topic I'll read the whole thing. If I start to read the post and lose interest then I'll skim through the rest. The length of the post really doesn't bother me. I prefer posts that are a little longer, especially in Seriouse Discussions because then you don't have to waste time trying to grind out the details.

There are certain members I won't read beyound one or two words, and there are some members, like you said, that could post fourteen pages and I'd spend whatever time it took to read it all.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

right about......

hahaha j/k I usually get bored when the post starts repeating itself. Some members tend to act like they have a bad case of Alzheimer's and need to repeat themselves over and over in a single post. Usually when I see that I get bored and just start skimming.

Aside from that if its a post that feels monotonous or dull I lose interest real fast, mostly the first few sentances are the ones that I use to judge. If you cant snag my interest to start....chances are I wont be interested 3-4 paragraphs in either.

SuiGeneris likes this.
  6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

It does depend on who is writing it and how long it is. If the person has horrible grammar and just plain makes no sense then I am not going to read it. If the person is a great debater then I most likely will read it. (constantine) Sometime font and color has to do with it too.. I love Kaz's posts, but sometimes his font and color and size messes with my head when he types something super long. I tend to like the smart asses..

If the first time I open the thread it already has 20 pages.. I probably will not read through all of the pages, just the last few, unless I am super interested in the topics.

SuiGeneris likes this.
  7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

If it takes up the whole screen or I can tell if its spam.

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Generally, I'll read the op of whatever thread, then I'll post. Not reading anything else. Then if I'm still interested, I'll read the last couple posts. And when I go even the step further, I'll read the whole post.

And I like to wrap my shit up. One liners, the occasional long post.

9. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Moderator only monitoring the first sentence of posters he doesn't give a damn about... Very professional.

Shows how much the almighty swift adds to the forums.
    --
    I'll read the first few sentences of a lengthily post and if they don't get a specific point out by then, they never will.. Also I might just skip to the last sentence to see if an interesting conclusion is revealed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    SuiGeneris likes this.
  10. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

It depends on the content of the post. If it's a long post, I just skim through looking for key thoughts or words. There are some posters whose long posts I'll read all the way through. Then there's some where I can tell the post isn't moving along and it's just re-hash or undigestible BS and so I skip through.

SuiGeneris likes this.