TV When did The Simpsons started to go downhill??

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We all know that The Simpsons ain't what it used to be. They've ran out of ideas that made the show so great years ago. I was wondering when you thought that The Simpsons started to go downhill??

Discuss

KJM

Registered Member
Part of me wants to say sometime after the first three or four seasons. It's still one of the better shows out there, though.

It's hard to say, because I used to LOVE the Simpsons when I was a bit younger, and then I just stopped watching it a year or two ago apart from the odd re-run on TV, for no reason really. I have seen the more recent episodes though and it just feels different somehow. I have to stay loyal and say it's still one my favourite shows to watch because it can be really funny, but like I said, I'm definitely not up to date with it. I can't say when it started going downhill. They should have ended the whole thing with the movie.

Bliss

Sally Twit
As soon as I discovered Family Guy. I can't remember how long ago that was but there was already a couple of seasons of it out. When I started to get into that I just thought sod the Simpsons! This is the real comedy.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
After about the 8th or 9th season I thought it started to go downhill. You could tell they were running out of ideas because there were more and more guest stars, and they were leaving Springfield almost every episode. They made Homer too outrageous. He just kept getting dumber and dumber to the point of not being funny anymore.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
For me it was season nine. I can even pinpoint the episode when I realized the Simpsons was terrible. It was the spring break episode where the Simpsons killed an alligator. That episode was awful and the show never recovered.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe it's more of a cause and effect. When the Simpsons first came on the scene, they were funny because they were "cutting edge." Now they have to compete with shows like South Park and Family Guy. I love the old Simpsons episodes, but I grew up in the 90's.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I always loved the Simpsons growing up but I agree with those who mentioned other shows taking over.

For me it was South Park and Family Guy swooping in and being better shows that made me watch SImpsons less and less. They didnt get bad necessarily but I didnt enjoy them as well as the others.