• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

When are pro sports companies going to stop policing the personal lives of people who work for them?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Hey I had a thought.

I'm sick of reading about all these stories about how pro sports and entertainment companies like to in-effect "police" the personal lives of their athletes by doing things like wiping out traces of their existence (like the WWE) if they get caught up in any controversy, or keeping people out of their halls of fame (like Pete Rose and MLB), or potentially fixing matches to give their athletes releases to do movies and whatnot (Rhonda Rousey with the UFC) and in general making way too much a big deal about what the athletes do in their personal lives.

So I'm wondering, what is it going to take for all major sports to just declare that they really don't care about what their athletes do in their personal lives and it's up to the individual consumers to simply NOT look up to or idolize these athletes if they don't like their non-sports issues?

Personally, I'm a fan of including everyone in things involving the history of the sports. I think that Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame. I think that Chris Benoit should be in the hall of fame plus included in historical features for the sport (and some day when I do a No Mercy Survivor stunt for charity, I don't want to have to manually edit his face or titantron or make him someone else just to include him twice in the elimination targets, nor feel like I have to do a charity specific to something that prevents people from doing the kinds of stuff he did or whatever issues you can think to do with this).

I just want a nice little world where people are athletes when they're doing athletics and then when they get off the clock or whatever for their companies, we don't give a rat's behind about what they do nomatter how horrifying it might be.

I think that every sports organization should just throw their hands in the air and say "This pressure to maintain a constant stream of positive PR in a world of vastly imperfect people is just too mrikkin' frikkin' difficult to maintain and people should take responsibility on their own shoulders within their own minds to maintain a division between athletes as athletes and athletes as people".

Frankly I think that people just don't want to think. Parents don't want to parent to make sure their kids don't look up to the wrong people. And sports companies just don't want to think or for their consumers to think that maybe the responsibility lies on THEM (not the sports company) to keep athlete and person separate.

So what the everliving flip is it ever going to take to get things this way? Will they ever be this way? What year would it have to be for this way to come about?

Any thoughts or feelings on this whatsoever.

This is kind of along the lines of another topic, where it's like "Because it would be too simple to require everybody to have their own minds" except this deserves its own topic.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Personally, I'm very uncomfortable with the notion of putting Chris Benoit, a man who murdered his wife & son, into an Hall of Fame. Despite the fact he suffered from dementia; despite the fact that he was an extraordinarly gifted technical wrestler. The last 3 days of his life tainted everything else in his life and this is what most people will remember him for.

For Pete Rose, it's a different thing though. Yes, he did bet on his own team and everything and while it is reprehensible, it's a much more different situation than for Benoit. I personally feel like if someone like Alex Rodriguez will probably get in Cooperstown despite the fact that he was caught red-handed and vehemently denied everything while he was guilty, I can't see why Pete Rose wouldn't get in the Hall of Fame. Some would say that he tarnished the integrity of the game by doing that but by the same token, so are performance enhancing drugs users. Yet you don't see their name in the record books with asterisks.

But in the end, I think that the reason there is so much policing from sports teams & entities alike is because there is so much money on the line in terms of image & PR for them that they'll do everything to protect the integrity of their league or in some cases, what's left of it. It would be indeed much simpler if those people managing those teams and entities would understand this notion. But in a domain in which performance & winning is everything, this isn't a distinction that is easy to make.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I'm probably going to just do a 5 min max disclaimer when it comes time for the actual stunt stating my expectations that people be responsible for drawing their own hard line between athlete and person AND not placing upon me or any other sports organization the obligation to use PR to be liked as it appears the WWE and basically every other one does.

Seriously, I want this stopped. The way I think of it is that whether it's the No Mercy review or the related stunt someday, in both cases the blatant disregard for athletes as people is going to be a statement on how unimportant it is. There's not going to be any jokes or snide comments about what the athletes did in real life like I'm sure most reviewers would do or whatever, just a plain treatment of them as caricatures in my imagination at the time of their performance. And simply a disclaimer that the viewing audience treat it the same way.

Obviously not everybody's going to follow the instructions, but I can still do my part to clearly state them in advance.

Only way I could think of doing it. The only more obvious way would be to hang a sign over the top of the frame the entire time (like a........ "over-title") that says "I AM NOT DOING THIS TO BE LIKED!!!" the entire time, but that would taint the magic I hope to display in the performance.

So yeah, those are my early thoughts about a stunt (my individual concern) that's probably at least a full year off given best case scenario outcome of abiity to start this stuff (as has already been backed up many years now).

I'm just wondering what, if anything, it would take for the ACTUAL pro-sports world out there to do the same.

My to-be-stated position, aside from the caricature view of them as already stated, is that the rule on people in general is simple... Take the line "God doesn't make junk" and figure that that still applies nomatter what even the people itself decide to do with themselves. Very simple. So nomatter what a person eventually makes of their live and the lives of those around them, God still gave them a fair shot to be acceptable in his eyes. So for the period of time before their mistakes, and in the period of time in which they were athletes doing their thing, they were not being junk, so it makes no sense to treat them that way later or just because of other unrelated issues.

Oddly enough, this in turn makes it harder to defend the inclusion of people like Bonds who's outside mistakes actually AFFECTED the performance and therefore records of the games, but in that case, you just put an asterisk on all his records and move on. In any event, it's a very simple fix once this position is taken.