When A State Goes Bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When a state (take California for example) goes bankrupt, who should pay to keep them afloat?

Taxpayers in that state or taxpayers from the rest of the country? Or should the state be forced to split up into smaller states and try again?

This could be provinces or whatever, depending on which country you live in.

Thoughts?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Theres nothing I want more than to have California Split in two. With a Diagonal line starting above San Francisco running on the outside of the Central valley wall (West side of I-5 using the Mountain range as natural border), crossing the Grape vine (below Bakersfield) finally splitting state at the Nevada border.

Where I'm from (Northern California) we are a Red State. We are an agri-community that clings to conservative ideals but yet are dictated by the heavy population along the Bay area and Southern California. Its funny to look at a political map of California.... the bulk of this state is Red, its just the San Fran & LA areas that are blue, which happen to make up the bulk of the states population :hah:

But seriously though. My vote would DEFINITELY be FOR splitting Cali in two.

~~~~~

Should Tax Payers pay for a bankrupt state? heh, I dont believe we should considering it was the doing of the citizens of that state who elected the officials who were trusted with the budget. Why should other citizens of other states suffer the consequences of one states citizens poor decisions?

Also... just a word of my opinion. If Cali were to get its head back on straight, it would realize the whole reason its so important is because of its Agri-Business. So instead of taking a fat shit on the Ag Industry like it has been for the last 10+ years, if Cali were to focus and improve upon that industry we'd be just fine. But noooo SIG's get the focus and us lowly farmers get the cold shoulder.

The simple rule to remember: When Truckers and Farmers are stopped.... America Stops.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with Ice 100%. The state should be split in two and let the dopes in LA and SF fail on their own without taking down the rest of the state with them.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I don't know how you could mess up a state like CA so badly. You'd think with the natural resources and industry CA has they could have their own Alaska style permanent fund instead of being on the brink of disaster. I don't agree that the US should bail them out. If that means 1/4 the people leave the state, so be it. There's just no excuse for CA to be broke.

icegoat63 likes this.
  5. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

All it takes is liberal minded politicians discouraging industry and killing the state's agricultural base, all the while giving the state's social resources away to millions of illegal aliens. More going out than coming in equals financial disaster in any government, whether it's federal, state or local. That's so simple even a caveman can understand it.

And people make fun of Governor Palin? Compared to Arnie, she's a genius.

I couldn't agree more, and the only thing causing it is political stupidity - in the first degree.

6. icegoat63

You're completely correct.

California is the most brutal state in the whole union in terms of kindliness to business. Around here, the saying goes: "If your business can survive 7 years in California... You can survive anywhere and prosper two fold".

I've lived in Central California all of my life, and I've come to realize that people just dont understand how important the Agri-Business truly is. I mean this is the whole reason California was so prosperous in the first place, the whole reason we became the 7th largest economy in the World and we're not even our own Country (thank god). When the Central Valley alone feeds 2/3rds of the whole world... theres just no arguing that fact of how important it is.

Yes the later developments like Silicone Valley made our Economy even bigger in the 80's and 90's. And Hollywood Show Biz is a multi-Billion dollar industry... but its still not as crucial as the Agri-Business that California has been neglecting.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Except liberal politicians. You are correct, ignoring the state's agri-business has doomed the state's economy, an economy that should be amongst the best in the world, much less the country.

8. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

Don't I know it. The other day I was watching a video about the irrigation aqueducts being shut down because someone found a stupid minnow in one. So the tree-hugging environmentalists filed suit to close the aqueducts just to protect this little creature.
    Can you imagine, closing the irrigation ditches, decimating crops, killing off entire agricultural communities, (which btw only raised the unemployment in the area to OVER 40%), to say nothing of losing hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue to the local and state government, ALL BECAUSE OF A STUPID MINNOW?!?!?!?!?!?

9. icegoat63

Yup. And these are the kinds of decisions that have trumped Cali-Ag.

you think thats bad... I've heard of whole Dairies being shut down because a "Pale Kangaroo Mouse" was found on the premises.

lol the farmer's joke that circulated after that fiasco was.... buy more cats :hah:

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

(Waiting for someone who isn't a conservative to post on this thread... :lol:)

Talk of dividing a state in half is particularly interesting to me, because there's been discussions about doing that for a long time now in WA. We basically have Eastern Washington and Western Washington as two very different groups. Western Washington is predominantly liberal, Eastern is conservative. Western Washington has bigger cities, Eastern has farms. We even already have mountains dividing us.

But the thought of splitting the state in half still seems not quite right to me.