When a Child accuses someone of sexual molestation and/or rape.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 17, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I'm continuing this from another thread 'Wrongfully convicted of child molestatio...' because 'I don't see' any evidence of the girl having lied.

This thread is not about the above story!

I think we hear so much these days about pedophilia in many shapes and forms, that we are desensitised to it. Often, the accused can be some 'Wondeful, upstanding, kind, caring' member of the community, so people, God knows why pipe-up and say that their is no way it can be true.
    Why not? Do you need to meet some sort of prior criteria before you can be accused of pedophilia, or to be truely guilty of it? Do you need to be seen as some sort of creep? Is this something that no one can hide really well? Do you need greesy hair? Do you need to own puppies?

I think in this day and age, we are all too quick to call Children liers, especially if the accusation has been made before, 'Oh he [or she] has made this kind of accusation before. Their was no proof then, and their is no proof now.' Based on that, you still can not put you hand on your heart and say 'That accuser is lying.'
    It's true that we should be innocent until proven guilty, but once guilty, you stay guilty until proven innocent.'
    I've seen it before when people have been divided on whether the Child is telling the truth or not. Based on gossip/opinion, they state that the Child is a lier.

We need to protect and believe our Children when they make these accusations, and we must also trust professionals assessments. They can more often than not tell if the Child is lying, bending the truth or being made to lie, or indeed, if they really are telling the truth.

It's not our place to dismiss such allegations, especially when we have no hard evidence at all whatsoever.

If a Child has been proven by questioning or through admission to have lied, then before we choose to punish the Child, if indeed we do decide such a thing, then we need to find-out why this happened, or if it's a cover-up for something else less or more serious.

2. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

maybe you aren't aware because you're not from America but i think its about half of all reports of child molestation are false. children of divorce are 70% more likely to claim rape or molestation falsely. so you think if a child says "he touched me" that automatically means its true? the fact that the girl had falsely claimed it before should show that it was a lie. and even if you aren't talking about this specific case many wrongly accused are thrown in jail because people like you automatically hear the words child molestation and assume oh well he must be guilty.

the only reason the man was thrown in jail is because the prosecutors didnt care if he was guilty or not, they wanted to make an example of him. that is wrong and people should not be treated such way just because some stupid little brat doesnt get enough attention from daddy.

3. DinoFlintstone

Half? That's a lot.

70% That's quite a figure. I take it you have a source for this? If it's true, 'it will' be online.

It's not automatically true, nor is it automatically a lie, and to think wither is plain daft. Why say it?
    I don't think it's me making the assumptions here.

It's not a prosecutors job to throw someone in jail and/or make an example of them. It's the job of the prosecution to prove that someone is guilty.

Yes, and I just said so.

I have no comment on that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

My mom's former boss when we lived in Florida was out in jail for 5 years because of a kid saying he molested him because he was a pastor at a church and he had yelled at the kid for doing something wrong so the kid lied to get back at him.

EndWinterRomance likes this.
  5. DinoFlintstone

I can't comment on that case., other than it's too bad, but remember, it's not always a lie, and more often than not, 'their is no smoke without fire' so to speak.

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

We of the western world already deal with enough youth-related shenanigans, much obliged to an unbelievably lax youth-justice system.

The absolute last thing we need now is some sort of policy that takes every statement to leave a youth's lips as pure, golden truth. :-/

If the words of a child are to be taken as enough evidence to convict someone of pedophilia, then we may as well just throw ourselves all in prison, the bloody perverts we clearly are, and save ourselves the hassle.

Frankly, the worst desensitization that I see happening, more often than not, is the dismissal of humanity from cases like these --> People forget that the persons in question are living, feeling people, too, not just distant abstractions that don't really care whether they go to prison or not. Just like you, they only get one chance at life, and if there is any chance of any doubt that such persons may in fact be innocent of the charges, who are we to take that one chance at life and freedom away?

Sure, I know it's easy to argue that it might be better for a few people to be wrongfully (and brutally) punished to save several kids that may or may not have been wronged, but would you still feel the same way if it was YOU being accused of wrongdoing against a child? Would YOU be willing to go to prison for the rest of your life to save that system, guilty or not?

I'm not saying one way or another that the person discussed is right or wrong --> I haven't even read the article in question.

What I am saying, is if we allow our personal feelings to cloud our judgment, and put an innocent person away because we were so convinced that said person was guilty (despite a lack of physical evidence), are we then really so much better than the criminals we imprison?

Cold objectivity is not fun or friendly, but is necessary to avoid as many mistakes as humanly possible, because the consequences of such mistakes can be devastating.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    EndWinterRomance likes this.
  7. DinoFlintstone

I couldn't agree more, however, we don't ignore it because it comes from a Child, or said Child has made the same allegation or the same type of allegation before.

Again, I agree, but I also trust the assessment of trained professionals to extract the truth from said Child.

'I' don't think it is, or it might be better for anyone at all whatsoever to be wrongly punished, even if it is to save a few.
    I certainly would not be willing to go to prison over something I did not do, but I'd also hope that since I did nothing, then that could be proved.

I'm not discussing that person since their is already such a thread. This thread is more generic.

In the end, it's not 'our' choice. Of those personal feelings^^^ we can't decide that someone is innocent either.

8. EndWinterRomance

EndWinterRomance PREGGERS

ah but that is exactly what you are saying. with the example of the other thread and that specific case you suggested the girl was simply confused in her words and was probably telling the truth, just in a way she couldnt keep straight for whatever reason. the case boiled down to his word against hers and with no physical or emotional evidence obviously it should have come out with him as innocent but because they chose to listen to a mere child this man had his whole life stripped of him. so you are in fact saying that the child should be listened to and that someone who is innocent should go to prision for something he didnt do, because a child said he did.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

The questions and answers:

Should we take every accusation of child molestation as probably true?

Obviously not. (Particularly in cases of one person's word against another)

Should we take every accusation of child molestation seriously?

I certainly think so.

10. DinoFlintstone

Maybe it's your accent, but I don't have a clue what you are saying. :urp: