What's Your Opinion On Cell Shading?

IVANCHUK

Registered Member
I never really thought too much about it,but after playing "Dragon Quest VIII",I must admit that it appears to be pretty cool.

Godspeed.
IVANCHUK

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Like any tool in an artists arsenal, it has a purpose. When used well, and when it fits the game, it works. When it's slapped on just because, then they might as well have gone with ultra-realistic graphics.

Gavik

Registered Member
Like any tool in an artists arsenal, it has a purpose. When used well, and when it fits the game, it works. When it's slapped on just because, then they might as well have gone with ultra-realistic graphics.
Agreed, it has to fit with the tone and themes of the game. Personally I like the style, but wouldn't want to see it in games like StarCraft 2 or Halo.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
As far as drawings, movies/tv and all of that stuff goes I'm fine with cell shading.

But since this is in the gaming forum I'll address that more directly.

Usually I don't like cell shading in video games it makes the game feel like it's meant for little kids (Zelda Windwaker is one that I'm well known for disliking) the cartoon feel has it's place though, I just don't prefer it.