• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What’s your favorite short stories?

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Pretty simple question – What is your favorite short story?

I’ll kick this one off and say Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne. My English teacher in the 10th Grade made our class read this story for a literature project. This is one of those stories that I didn't understand, so it always sorta stayed with me even after high school. I read it again a couple years ago and it instantly became my favorite short story because I could comprehend the extended allegories and symbolism in it better than I could in Grade 10.

Anyways, if you haven't read it, it's set in Salem during the 17th century and it's about a newly-married, young honest Puritan named Goodman Brown, who begins to question his faith in humanity after spending a night out in the forest. I definitely recommend it, if you haven't read it yet. It's an extremely well written story.

Alta

Registered Member
I really like the Scorpion and the Frog. Although it probably doesn't count as a "short story" but more of a fable.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I really liked The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates & The Man in the Black Suit by Stephen King. I'd add all four stories from Full Dark, No Stars but those are more novella than short story.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't know the names of the individual stories, but I have collected books filled with heaps of short stories by Roald Dahl. He's one of my favourite authors and his short stories are just as amazing as his full novels.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
One of my favorite short stories over the years is A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger. I wanted to read more Salinger after reading The Catcher in the Rye and read a collection of short stories of his and that's the one I enjoyed the most and remember it the most.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm not an expert on short stories but heard about one recently that is incredibly fascinating to me. It was by Hemingway, and only six words:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." It's depressing and really gets your mind working. I'd have to say it's one of my favorites just by the fact that he told a story in that few of words.

I need to read more short stories, though. I know science fiction has quite a few that I've liked in the past.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The Short Happy Life of Francis McComber by Ernest Hemingway

Almost anything by Raymond Carver

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson