What's the process?

ILOVEUSA911

Registered Member
As you know, my hubby and I aren't spring chickens, but we like playing video games.

We bought a playstation3 and a wii.

Our problem is, (and this is sad to admit since all of our grandchildren can play so well) we have a very difficult time figuring out the games. Called my 11 year old grandson and he said Meemaw, ya gotta read the book. Well, hubby is the chief engineer of a tv station and well, I'm not a genius, but I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent. So we read the book.

Hah! You should see us play. What is it that you have to master first? I think it's the control, but how do you remember what sympol or button is for what? One question I have is are the control buttons usually the same for all games or do you have to memorize what does what on each game.

I got really excited because I made a touchdown the other night in Madden 09, but it took me like forever to get there.

I'd love nothing better to have the grandkids come over and for them to be somewhat impressed by our progress instead of thinking we're total geeks cause we can't play.:lol:

Any advice?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think it's hard to memorize the controls on the Playstation controllers because of the symbols instead of letters on the buttons. A lot of games start with a tutorial or training level to help familiarize yourself with the controls. Other games you just need to read the booklet and play a little bit before you learn everything. You can never expect to have the controls mastered before you even play the game.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
As you know, my hubby and I aren't spring chickens, but we like playing video games.

We bought a playstation3 and a wii.

Our problem is, (and this is sad to admit since all of our grandchildren can play so well) we have a very difficult time figuring out the games. Called my 11 year old grandson and he said Meemaw, ya gotta read the book. Well, hubby is the chief engineer of a tv station and well, I'm not a genius, but I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent. So we read the book.

Hah! You should see us play. What is it that you have to master first? I think it's the control, but how do you remember what sympol or button is for what?
ah see thats your problem! Forget there are symbols on the buttons... To be honest I've played on a Playstation since about 2001 and I couldn't tell you which button is represented by square!

I notice more often than not when I hand the controller over to someone who isn't familiar with the system they have so much trouble getting used what button to push and more often than not they take their eyes away from the game to check the controller for button location! You almost gotta make it like typing, you know if you push the M button you're going to get an M. So the real trick is to just grab the controller and watch how it interacts with the main character. Usually the only time I ever crack open an instruction book for a game is a worst case scenario when I'm so frustrated I cant figure out which button it is. Then usually its a button combination :hah:

If the button on the bottom starts an action than you can just rely on that rather than wasting the brain power of "X button = Action", which takes thought rather than reaction.

Maybe I'm off, lol but thats all I've ever done and it works out for me!

One question I have is are the control buttons usually the same for all games or do you have to memorize what does what on each game.
nope, not often at all are controls the same. Even in franchises such as Madden or NHL, over a year or two the control schemes will change. Never fear though! More often than not they'll allow you to refer back to the "classic" control scheme for a few more years until its completely obsolete.

What I'd recommend, is invest in a game that requires ALOT of button pushing. Try out "God of War" its an old PS2 series (soon to be on the PS3), its a little gory... Rated M I think, but thats mostly cause all the button pushing you'll be doing will result in Minotaurs and Cyclops doom :hah:. But a game like that will force you to adapt quickly and program your mind to just react to the symbol rather than recognize it.

You could also try Guitar Hero and just use the controller... but they come with big plastic Guitar Control which most people are more inclined on using... But yeah, the main goal is to just find a game where there is tons of button pushing and button combo's. You'll struggle a little at first maybe even for a while. But trust me, the results will work 10 fold if you get even at least half decent at a game like that.

Madden will be a breeze!

I'll rack my brain for some other games I could recommend.... but I know God of War is a great one for training your mind in that sense. Also its just a great game if you're even slightly into gaming.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Yeah icegoat's got it, you don't need to memorize the symbols because really they're ridiculous.

I usually don't memorize the controls for any games that I play, I simply understand things as time goes on, it is a lot like typing, don't look at the controller when you play, that's the key.

Just get a feel for where the buttons are and what they do, don't pay any attention to the button labels.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I grew up playing a PlayStation a lot so I remember the buttons every time I put it in my hand and it feels comfortable, compared to a Xbox controller which I have rarely used so I have no idea what button is which lol. I found it pretty easy with the PS to pick up the buttons.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Ha, those ps3 symbols get me confused too. When I play I just ask my son what to push instead of learning it. He can't read instructions but playing a lot of times, he discovered what the controls do for each game. I guess it just takes practice. You can download demo games and often they explain at the start the controls you need for the game and what they mean.

I think it'll be cool to get a feel of how to do it and "show off" your progress when your grandkids get there. I'd like to see my mom/dad try to play these things. :lol:

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Seriously guys you arent even trying, symbols are harder than letters? Symbols are the universal typography, you cant miss it no matter in what corner of the earth your in.

Anyway, obvious hint, the square button is the one with a square drawned into it, besides you also have different colors to distinguish them, you know...colors?

ILOVEUSA911, you shouldnt feel bad if you cant keep you with your kids, its a matter of practice and learning the tutorials, dont forget that on this generation gaming is almost a pedagogic process and activity, they grow up playing consoles so they develope this skill easly.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm pretty sure people recognise the symbols, maik :lol:. Personally, it's just the feel of their position which is harder because there's no general order to it (with letters you know that lower value letters often come before, A is on the left side of B, or X comes before Y) that when someone says press the circle, most likely you need to look at the remote to do it unless you've memorised their positions. I've looked at the remote many times and I still cannot say without checking where is the triangle (I know how it looks like, I'm just talking about its position relative to the other shapes).

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Yes i know i was a bit Sarcastic there, but still... I know A comes before B but what i dont know is if that order will be presented horizontally or vertically, so i need to check the controller anyway.

The controller input will always be a challenge for first timers, its natural and ppl shouldnt feel bad about it

Never really thought of that.. Usually there's action (x), back (o), option (triangle), and other action.. thing(square). I don't know, maybe it makes more sense in japan - the x generally means "batsu", I think, or "no go". The circle means "maru" or good. So we've got the x and o functions switched. Even if that doesn't explain why the circle is red (boo! go away!) and the square is blue (push me again!). Just something to think about while fiddling with the controls. :p

I don't think it really matters if it's set up well in the game, though. WipeoutHD for example - you have just the directions with the thumbsticks, and if you want, corresponding or partially the same movement with the sixaxis - and the shoulder buttons for air- brakes. The x is throttle, circle is absorb, square is fire, and triangle is look behind. Just makes sense, no?

Last edited: