What's the point ..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EllyDicious, Feb 23, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

...in showing your relationship status on Facebook?
    I mean, I kind of find it senseless. Whether you're in a relationship or not ..it's a private thing. Why would you go on a website and declare that you're single or in a relationship?
    If you put it 'single' it's like saying "I'm looking ... I'm desperate...please someone come and get me..."
    And if you put 'in a relationship' feels like 'don't you dare to hit on me...i'm taken...'
    Or if you put 'complicated' why would I want to know it? If I'm your friend and we talk /write to each other on regular basis, I already know your status.

What's the point in highlighting it?

That's how I see it. :shifteyes:

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Some people actually use those websites to date though. That's the only function I can possibly think of.

I don't do that, for the record. lol

3. k3rm0r

k3rm0r Registered Member

Facebook is abouth letting ppl know what u are doing/have done. So having that shown. The friends u dont realy talk to might wanna know what's up. etc. i dunno. I generaly dont bother abouth looking at ppl's profile at facebook anyways.

4. EllyDicious

Friends you don't really talk to are the ones you don't care about or those who don't care about you.
    So, if anyone would care they'd ask. Those who care, already know it ...

So the relationship status is pointless.

5. k3rm0r

k3rm0r Registered Member

True. I hardly talk to anyone on my facebook. haha. I see no point in it. My friends i see more than enough during the week to know what's up anyways. But i gues it's to let ppl know. wich facebook is all abouth. U even see ppl with like 500+ friends.. i highly doubth they actuly talk to all those ppl more than once a year. people are curiouse abouth what your old friend is up to. And knowing they are like in a relationship or married or whatever is a part of that.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

You sure know a lot for someone who is only 22, Elly.

Some people might want to know your relationship status, just out of curiosity. Facebook friends aren't always at the level of "you should already know this about me".

personally I use it because I don't find it necessary to hide the fact, nor do I consider it private information.

What's the point of identifying your gender? what's the point of identifying your religion? or your political leanings? Just another bit of information, that's all.

If you don't see the point, don't use it, but don't be critical of people who do.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I suppose the only thing I'd maybe consider pointless about it is when it posts an update saying "_______ is now single" or whatever.

But I can't see how it's pointless to have it displayed as just general information about someone. Relationship status is no different to all the other details that come under 'info'.

8. EllyDicious

Given that I consider it a private information, I don't put it in the same level as religion or political views.
    I don't see it as hiding, I see it as something that belongs to me ... not to the whole world to know.
    That's just me. If you don't agree, fine.

Did you suddenly feel criticized? I'm not criticizing anyone.
    I was just sharing my opinion, which is something I'm allowed to do here.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Some people choose to not fill anything out for that part (regardless of whether or not they're single or not), which is totally fine. I know for me, I don't fill out political or religious affiliation not because I'm ashamed, but mostly because I don't feel the need to.

As far as relationship status, I'll admit I'm rather proud to be in a relationship so I wouldn't mind having it up there. I think it also lets people know if they're gonna potentially hit on you, but that doesn't really stop people anyways. When I was single though, I left that area off. I don't really know why. I guess I didn't feel it was important or wanted my profile to be less cluttered.

Really all i have under my info are the networks I'm in, my birthday (excluding year) and my relationship status. Seems ok to me. :nod:

10. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Why is it private information? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Some people get random people messaging them trying to hit on them so I think it's a good way of saying "back off, I'm taken."