Discuss What's the longest book you've ever read and finished.

whiteraven

Registered Member
Being that I love to read. I've never really liked reading really long books. But then I read Sacajawea. Not sure how to spell it. It had about 1300 pages. Didn't think I'd make it through the whole book.

I've tried a few other over the years. But they were never that long.
What about you guys?

Elanor

Registered Member
I think the longest book I have read is Lord of the Rings. I am on my 11th or 12th time of reading it, it is one of my favourite books, up there in my top 3 definitely. I have read a few other long books all the way through, but I am pretty sure LotR is the longest.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The Bible is probably the longest book I've ever read. The number of pages varies, but it took many months of reading almost every single day to finish the entire thing.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
The Bible is probably the longest book I've ever read. The number of pages varies, but it took many months of reading almost every single day to finish the entire thing.
May I ask why did you put yourself up to that effort?

I don't remember the longest book I ever read, it was probably Harry Potter and one of those long as 700 pages.

Sim

Registered Member
Among the longest books I read are "The Magic Mountain" and "Doctor Faustus" by Thomas Mann and "Crime and Punishment" and "The Brothers Karamasov" by Dostoyevski. Don't remember the exact number of pages, but they were somewhere between 700 and 1100.

Oh, and the Bible too.

And then, a Star Trek novel: "Crucible: McCoy". Around 800 pages. Not sure if that counts, but I also read several series/trilogies which consist of several books, but together reach a similar number of pages.

danwiz

Registered Member
The Bible, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, all 10 books (which have so far been released) of The Silurian, all currently released books of The Jade Owl series, all of the Harry Potter books.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
May I ask why did you put yourself up to that effort?
Because I thought it would be pretty important to read based on what I believed at that stage of my life. While my beliefs have changed a bit since then, I'm still happy to have read it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I dunno really. I read A Game of Thrones, which is longish I guess. I don't think the Harry Potter books individually a very long but as a series they are, I've read them several times each. I've probably read long books but just don't remember them.

danwiz

Registered Member
I agree with OldMajor - I read the Bible for the very same reason - it was important to what I was playing with as far as a religion at that stage of my life. And, I am happy that I gave it the effort that it took - I have never been sorry about it. I am now no longer involved with that particular religion (or any religion) though. But, the Bible is still a nice thing to read.