What's the deal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pikachu1, Apr 13, 2008.

1. pikachu1

pikachu1 Registered Member

I'm just curious about this and I don't do this kind of thing at all.(Check out my other threads to see why.) But why is it that (at least in the US) one can look at a pic of an 18 yr old and it's fine but if the pic is of someone who is 17 then it is a crime? I know that 18 is the age that you are legally an adult and everything but why does that also apply to this? How can one year decide whether the person was able to consent or was just being exploited. It makes no sense. It is just one year. It's not like people completely grow up in a one year span. I am just curious about this subject is all.

2. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

its not really about consent. That person could've given consent for the picture to be taken and it will still be wrong. both the child and the adult know that its wrong, but they still decide to do it anyways. So the adult gets in trouble because he/she is well...and adult.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

then why have laws a tall??????
    :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

4. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

Not sure why 18 is the law but it seems to be a pretty good age, most are on the way out or out of High School and have started college or their young adult lives, so although 17 is only a years difference it still isn't 18, and against the law.

5. pikachu1

None of these really answer my question about how come 18 is the consent age and 17 is illegal but is only one year off so it's not like that person changes and suddenly nkows they are able to make choices. i looked up some info on this and all the documents said that it falls under how 17 is under the legal age of consent(18). But I wonder how could this be a serious crime with just a one year difference.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I'm sure there is actually some significant increase in maturity or understanding that happens within a person. It's just like how a baby will suddenly learn to walk at age 1. Why 1? Why not 2? What does a year difference make? It's just nature.

7. pikachu1

The thing with a baby is that every single year is very very important to its growth because it learns most everything it needs to function in that time. However, if you are 17 and then turn 18 I doubt very much that you would all of a sudden become more enlightened and lose all your innocence.

8. Mrs_Mike_Patton

Mrs_Mike_Patton Registered Member

The cut off age needs to start somewhere, why not 18? Would your question still remain if it was 19 - what's the diference between 18 & 19? I understand your point, but there has to be an age limit, 18 is it.

9. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

18 is the number simply because a number needs to be set. The only static and uniform way to do it is with age, and thats the age they picked.

Then they enforce it because if they didnt, then no one would listen.

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah, but we don't reach full maturity until our mid 20s. We are still growing a maturing, it's just less obvious. I'm sure they wouldn't pick a random number.

If that's what they did, then.....I have nothing to say......