• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What's the best Wireless Router to have?

BigBob

Registered Member
Let me run the situation that I've had for over a year now.

I've got a Belkin N-Wireless Router. The way I'm set up is I have three things hardwired into it and then we have a laptop. I've got a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and the Desktop hardwired into the wireless router. The problem I've had for over a year is that whenever I get on the Playstation 3, even though it's hardwired, as soon as someone gets on the Laptop using the wireless, It's like an instant kill-switch. The Playstation lags and at times completely disconnects it from the internet. I hadn't been having the issue with the Xbox 360 but recently it has been starting to lag whenever I use the Wireless Router.

I know it's the router because what I did was taken the Belkin Wireless Router and replaced it with an older Linksys Router that's non-wireless. What I did then was hooked the Wireless Router up to one of the ports on the Linksys Router so that the laptop could still be used. What I then did was moved the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Desktop to the Linksys Router and all lag problems were resolved.

The issue I run into then is the Internet Speed goes from 25MB to barely 3MB whenever I use the Linksys Router.

So, the dilemma is.. What is the best router to completely resolved my issue?

dDave

V.I.P.
I have a wireless N router at my house, it does it's job well to say the least, it's a Linksys and it hasn't had any problems to speak of, I have experienced a similar problem to yours. I later found out that the 360 was actually what was sapping everything from the connection so I had to disconnect it, I haven't connected it since, after disconnecting it I had to reset my router and essentially completely reset my entire connection.

Sometimes a wireless router can get overwhelmed when you are connecting too many things wirelessly to it. It's going to cost big bucks to get an industrial router so I wouldn't suggest that.

Maybe try getting a Linksys wireless N+ (as opposed to just N).

And by the way 3mbps is a decent internet speed but of course 25 is much better, I'm running roughly 1 here and it's alright and stable.

Anyway try running your connection without your XBOX connected or try a Linksys Wireless N+ router.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
I have a wireless N router at my house, it does it's job well to say the least, it's a Linksys and it hasn't had any problems to speak of, I have experienced a similar problem to yours. I later found out that the 360 was actually what was sapping everything from the connection so I had to disconnect it, I haven't connected it since, after disconnecting it I had to reset my router and essentially completely reset my entire connection.

Sometimes a wireless router can get overwhelmed when you are connecting too many things wirelessly to it. It's going to cost big bucks to get an industrial router so I wouldn't suggest that.

Maybe try getting a Linksys wireless N+ (as opposed to just N).

And by the way 3mbps is a decent internet speed but of course 25 is much better, I'm running roughly 1 here and it's alright and stable.

Anyway try running your connection without your XBOX connected or try a Linksys Wireless N+ router.
The only time I ever have a problem is if someone is on the laptop. I could turn my Playstation, Xbox and have my Desktop on at all times and never have a problem. I can disconnect everything but my Playstation and as soon as the laptop comes on, the only thing I can do is lag.

..and regardless if 3mpbs is decent, if I'm paying for 20, I want 20.. haha.

Also, I wanted to add for you, like I said in the OP. The only time I have problems is whenever I use the wireless router. I can use the non-wireless Linksys and it NEVER lags.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
The only time I ever have a problem is if someone is on the laptop. I could turn my Playstation, Xbox and have my Desktop on at all times and never have a problem. I can disconnect everything but my Playstation and as soon as the laptop comes on, the only thing I can do is lag.

..and regardless if 3mpbs is decent, if I'm paying for 20, I want 20.. haha.

Also, I wanted to add for you, like I said in the OP. The only time I have problems is whenever I use the wireless router. I can use the non-wireless Linksys and it NEVER lags.
Yeah then it's definitely related to the wireless router, I'm guessing that you're trying to make it address more information than it can handle, either that or you are using some sort of mixed wireless mode which would add to that problem.

So as I said before, I would either recommend getting a Wireless N+ router.
Either do that or if you could then just connect the PS3 via Ethernet cable.

I also found something concerning the PS3 and excruciatingly slow wireless B defaults.

If you go into your router settings (enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar in firefox or IE I believe)

Make sure that your wireless mode is not set to "mixed" but rather "Wireless N only" This might help you out a ton.

Let me know if that works.

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
So as I said before, I would either recommend getting a Wireless N+ router.
Either do that or if you could then just connect the PS3 via Ethernet cable.
The problem is, I AM connected via Ethernet Cable with my PS3 and it still lags whenever the Wireless is used.

I also found something concerning the PS3 and excruciatingly slow wireless B defaults.

Make sure that your wireless mode is not set to "mixed" but rather "Wireless N only" This might help you out a ton.

Let me know if that works.
I'm looking for this setting but I can't seem to find it. I went through every tab and I haven't come across anything close to it.

Last edited:

ATARIGUY

Beermister
I have a Netgear N300 Wireless Router and I've had it for about a year and so far zero problems.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I used a Linksys Wireless G router for ages (modem + router in one), and never had an issue.

Then, I had Fios internet. I had a little bit of connectivity issues, but that was resolved when they replaced some faulty lines. When I moved and had to get different internet (I love and miss you, dear Fios <3) I was stuck with a Motorolla router. It didn't have much power, and it was hard getting a signal in the bedroom. We then went to Best buy and got one of these supposedly awesome Netgear Wireless N routers. I am constantly knocked offline from the wireless, and have to reset the router every time to get my network to even show up again as an option.

I wouldn't recommend Netgear, and I've never had issue with the Linksys modem+router.

However, take note that I now live in a more rural area, and my issues may not be Netgear related.

BigBob

Registered Member
I actually picked up a Linksys N or N+ a few months ago and it's worked great for me. I've never run into the issue I was having where I'd be hard wired into my PS3 and then someone gets on the laptop and it lags. Thanks for all the suggestions though.