• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What’s the best gaming controller for PC?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Normally, when it comes to PC games, I’m a mouse and keyboard kind of guy, but I’ve been playing some PC games with my son lately that would benefit from using a controller. For example, Yooka-Laylee: The Impossible Lair.

What’s the best controller for this type of PC game?

dDave

V.I.P.
Depending on what you’re playing. 3 great options.

2D - 8bitdo SNES or Genesis controller.

N64 or other early 3D graphics - Retrofighters N64 USB

Modern - XBOX One Elite controller. I think a standard XBOX One controller would work but the elite is better as it has customization features. Would work well pretty universally with everything.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
So, I'm not up to date on XBOX controllers. I didn't realize they work natively on PC. Or would I need something additional to make that work?

dDave

V.I.P.
So, I'm not up to date on XBOX controllers. I didn't realize they work natively on PC. Or would I need something additional to make that work?
I think you just need a cable or the wireless dongle.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Xbox controllers are the way to go. The wired ones work out of the box. The wireless ones need a special dongle that you can pick up off of Amazon.

dDave

V.I.P.
Yeah, given the price of the Xbox one Elite products, a standard Xbox one controller should do fine. As Steve mentioned, you need a dongle to connect it wirelessly. Otherwise a micro USB cable should do fine.

Should be able to find a controller on Facebook market for $30-$40, probably even brand new.