• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What's Rural to You?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have know a few people that considered themselves living in a rural area but to me it wasn't. They and all their neighbors had like 3 to 5 acres not far outside the city limits. They didn't have their own water wells, county water, and were on a sewer system. To me that was a subdivision. To me rural is some have at least 40 acres and some much more with forests or farm land around. Maybe a cluster of houses here and there with only a couple of acres.

What do you consider rural?

thealigator

Registered Member
I lived in what would be seen as a rural area. In my village there were about 20 homes and in the neighbouring village there were about 200 houses. We had lots of farms and fields around and there were no real shops to speak of aside from a small post office. We lived about 3 miles from the nearest town. I am not sure I would call it rural though. As you said when I think truly rural I think of places that I have seen on tv and film where people need to travel for some time to see another person or where is no real infrastructure.

I think everyone’s take on rural is different, as I say, I am from a very small village and some may call it rural but I can understand why people may not see it as such.

Impaired

Registered Member
I've always considered anything not in or close to a city or large population center is rural.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I agree with Hilander because I've seen it. When I ride my bike to the lake there's only a few houses for maybe 12 miles and I don't get how they have any power. But one has a huge propane tank and a barn. I wonder if they use generators for power. Everything else is just trees and fields.

Mostly I only see trees here too and sometimes deer and coyotes. There were three coyotes on our deck two years ago but I don't think we're rural. We have utilities, wifi, paved streets, and public services here and only two people I know have horses. I can even walk to a neighbors house. It's not really that far. It's not city but it's not really rural either. Dunno what people call it.

I also saw something really freaky last New Years and it's only maybe 10 miles from our house. A ton of huge new houses with tiny yards and almost no space between them. They're not very close to the city either and they have power lines but I would not advise anyone that's claustrophobic to live there. Houses in the city have bigger yards and there's parks. I didn't see any parks in that housing development. Scary.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Reading some of the comments, it seems that for some, living in a rural area should be living like the Amish.

Look, I live in a rural area. There's roughly around 1500 people living in my town. Yes, we do have many farms but there are also several things that we can find in the city. The largest city near my town has around 25 000 people in it and I'm about 40 minutes out of Quebec City, which has around 300 000. Like Dr4gon said, we got any utilities we can find in a city except we see our share of tractors passing on the street once in a while.

But yeah, the definition of rural really depends on your perception of what is a rural area and what's not.

Impact

V.I.P.
I think your definition of rural will depend on what country you're from. What half of you are describing as rural wouldn't be possible in the UK but we still have areas that are considered rural