• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

what's one book everyone should read?

Joshua Howe

I would say my book, but that would be self promotion. Haha!

I'm a big fantasy guy myself, so books such as Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Eragon, Percy Jackson, etc. are all fabulous reads.

But for one that's probably less on the radar, I'd have to say The Summer Tree: The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay (my favourite Canadian fantasy author). If you love fantasy, you'll love this book. the writing is just superb and the characters grab you and latch onto you. It's Tolkien-esque, so if you liked LotR, you'll love this.

Give it a shot.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Lord of the Flies by William Golding yet. LotF, along with George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 should be read by everyone because those books are dead on about modern day society.

I'd also say everyone should read Frank McCourt's memoir, Angela's Ashes just because of how brutally honest he is and how he holds absolutely nothing back.

Rehmo

Totally blanked on LotF, such a good book. I know alot of us were "forced" to read it in school but as an adult I think a re-read is in order. You appreciate the story much more and understand the metaphore of the island to society. Good call Bubbles!

Iris

rainbow 11!
i haven't read any of those, bubbles. i do plan to at some point. i just have so much to read currently.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like Dickey's Flow, I'm not a huge book reader, and if I do read a book, it's mostly sports related.

For Baseball fans out there, I would suggest to read The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth. Amazing, well written book about Babe Ruth by Leigh Montville. It not only goes in to detail about his Baseball career, it talks about his whole life.

None sports related, I would go with The Outsiders. Yes, it's an easy book to read, but I really loved it. Probably the best book I've ever read in school. The movie is terrific, too.