• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss What's going on here? Lack of new topics.

danwiz

Registered Member
I generally only visit the forum once a day - in the morning (my morning here in Japan), so about every 24 hours I check in to see what's new/happening.

A couple of months ago and more, when I'd check in and click on the "New Posts" link there would generally be 3 - 5 pages of new posts that I could spend some time looking around at, responding to and whatever.

For the past few weeks, however, when I click on the "New Posts" link there has been less than a single page. This morning I believe there were 6, possibly 7 posts in the past 24 hours.

So, what's going on? What's your take on it? People too concerned about global warming to come and visit, people too busy with summer stuff, and we'll see an increase when the weather gets cold? People wondering if the forum will disappear when/if it gets sold? (Has it been sold yet?) People just not having any ideas for new topics - like myself (I Luv Chuzzles seems to have addressed every topic imaginable). Something else?

Any ideas?

torrent

I generally only visit the forum once a day - in the morning (my morning here in Japan), so about every 24 hours I check in to see what's new/happening.

A couple of months ago and more, when I'd check in and click on the "New Posts" link there would generally be 3 - 5 pages of new posts that I could spend some time looking around at, responding to and whatever.

For the past few weeks, however, when I click on the "New Posts" link there has been less than a single page. This morning I believe there were 6, possibly 7 posts in the past 24 hours.

So, what's going on? What's your take on it? People too concerned about global warming to come and visit, people too busy with summer stuff, and we'll see an increase when the weather gets cold? People wondering if the forum will disappear when/if it gets sold? (Has it been sold yet?) People just not having any ideas for new topics - like myself (I Luv Chuzzles seems to have addressed every topic imaginable). Something else?

Any ideas?
Actually I notice this place is really dead now? Did everyone just leave or something? What is going on? I heard this place had so many people on it and it was always active

dDave

V.I.P.
A lot of people just aren't around anymore. That's not to say that people don't like GF (I've been here for 7 years, I'd have left by now if it wasn't fun) but everyone's found more important stuff to do with their time. For me, it's 15 university credit hours and work. Just can't be on all the time like I want to be.

For the record, no, GF has not been sold. There's still that possibility though.

This place did used to be super active though. I'd love to see those days reborn. The lack of activity has not gone unnoticed though. It's something we've tried to address many times over the past 6 months. Ultimately it comes down to things like past drama between well established members, broken features, and a few other smaller things.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate it that its so dead. In the past I was never the only person on here but lately that has been happening a lot. I have to admit I haven't been starting threads and posting like I use to but I have been busy lately.

Wish we could turn this around. If any of you know someone that you can talk into joining do so.

Its not just this forum, it seems to be most of them except the specialty forums.

I'm going to blame it on Obama like everything else is.:lol:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I blame Dave.

Really though, the forum is dead for a lot of different reasons. I could sit here and go through all of them, but that would be a waste of time. Ultimately, you can put blame every single person who has left the forum or stopped visiting regularly. There are a lot of people who would like to see it more active again. All they need to do is come back and post. It's a team effort.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
GF is an anti-narcissistic social website, right? Andrew gets 2.4 million fb views to a post and nobody joins because of it because your ex-boyfriend is not going to see your post, 60 people aren't going to like it and nobody is going to share it.
Not only are the people that are attracted to the format extremely hard to find, we are hard to keep. I don't necessary want to post or read every day. There's a good chance even if I finish this post, I will scrap the whole thing instead of hitting Submit.
I don't know what the solution is. I agree with hilander that the format is dwindling and like Dave said, there's just so much to do in life, its hard to take the time to contribute.

Clare

Registered Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with the forum or the way it's set up. Like others have mentioned I think people are just busy all the time. It's fairly time consuming to look through all the posts and reply to stuff. I never posted much on here (a lot of that's me being weird though) but I do look at the forum most days.

In terms of new threads, with a forum that's been going for so long there's a limit to how many new topics of discussion there can be besides current stuff or really trivial topics... that's what I think anyway.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
In terms of new threads, with a forum that's been going for so long there's a limit to how many new topics of discussion there can be besides current stuff or really trivial topics... that's what I think anyway.
This definitely has something to do with it. General Discussion type threads can get kind of stale and repetitive, and that's where a huge chunk of the forum's activity used to come from. There's nothing wrong with those threads and they can be fun sometimes, but after being on a forum for so many years you just stop caring about what color socks other people are wearing, or what they had for breakfast.

Most of the current activity seems to come in the form of serious debate and current events/news threads. Personally I enjoy those types of threads because I find the back-and-forth nature of them to be more engaging and thought-provoking than the threads where you just answer a trivial question and be done with it. But I understand why some people don't like serious discussions, especially for the non-Americans here when most of the threads seem to revolve around American politics.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I agree with MenInTights. Most people just wanna get hits and likes so they spend more time at other social sites. Also at sites like FB people can pick up on stuff like home security reports and other stuff you cant find at forums. They also offer more control over personal content.

But focused forums still have a advantage. One example if I needa know something about anything tech then I log into TechPowerUp. Because I know I can find the answers I need there.
And I think it could be an answer for this forum too. TechPowerUp is very active but me and a lot of other members wanna talk about other stuff too sometimes. So they created another forum and attached it to the main one. That other forum is for random discussions that arent related to tech... but they still talk about some of the tech stuff too.

Imo General Forum would be tons more active if it turned into a focused forum (tech or music or whatever) and had a attached forum for general discussions. Just saying.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Dr4gon, I agree 100%, and that's actually something I've brought up before. GeneralForum covers pretty much everything, but it's not really a place where you would look for answers or more specific discussions about anything. If you're looking for something specific, you are most likely going to go to a forum that is focused on that particular subject.