• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Whatever happened to beating your kids?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I bring this up because I'm so sick and tired of hearing about and actually seeing these poor excuses for parents who think that time-outs actually work. I'll give you an example.

I used to work at a convenience store when I was in middle school, stocking the shelves and whatnot and there was this woman who would come in with her two kids. Neither boy looked much over five, so they were a handful. These two kids would whine and complain to her constantly. Once they'd get up to the counter they'd each grab candy bars and throw them on the counter. The mother would say no and the kids would screech and complain, which quickly made the mother give in. No. You slap the whining bastard on the hand, the cheek, just to get the message across.

Now don't get me wrong, there are extremes. Some people think that dropkicking and uppercutting your kids is acceptable, which it obviously is not. I'm talking about simple, light slaps. Not shit that's going to bruise or bleed.

I think parents today are way too soft with their children and in return the generation is undisciplined and crazy. Not all of them, but a lot. My parents would hit me if I did something stupid or improper. Let me give you some advice, never talk about to an Italian mother. I learned that the hard way. However, it didn't 'mess me up' like some people try to sell. They try to claim that children who get a bit of an ass-beating are mentally troubled. But the examples they use are extreme cases. It's very similar to this recent crusade against video games and violence in kids. The examples these fanatical anti-gaming groups use are usually the rare and extreme cases, like the psychopath that killed a toddler because she knocked over his 360.

So don't be afraid to discipline your children. It may hurt you to do it sometimes, but it's necessary and teachers honor and respect. Anyone else agree? Think I'm nuts? Examples? Any parents here that have input?

Kyo_Muramasa

Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n
Nowadays though if parents beat their kids social services are down at their throats talking about abuse. wth?! How is a kid suppose to know the difference between right and wrong if they don't get punished for the wrong things? Though some kids beat their kids so much that the kids get immune to the pain after awhile and they just continue to do bad things, but beating them with a switch, a thing long and strong piece of branch, they can never get use to that. A child does deserve a beating though when they get temper tantrums in the store because they can't get something, I mean this child I saw in a corner store got mad because they couldn't get this huge bottle of soda and when their mama told them no they started to throw candy from off of the shelves >>;

I may be big and taller than my mom but she still beats the crap out of me when I do wrong, though not that much now since I do good nowadays. But she does love using the phrase "I've brought u into this world, and I can take u out just as fast". It's these laws nowadays that restrict parents from hardly doing anything to their kids without catching a charge, what else are u gonna do when a kid won't get into time out, I mean it's just five minutes sitting in a corner...oh wow T_T

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Riddick, was that mom white? I know it's not right, but there's always that stereotype that only white parents give in to their kids' complaining and whining, and other races don't take shit from their kids.

My parents used to beat me, but after I grew up, they quit and began using words. Beating an older kid would probably just make things worse. Reasonable physical punishment is an excellent way to get smaller kids to learn what's right and wrong. I think it sticks in their heads better.

I've heard many people say that America is overprotective of kids. People will listen to kids more seriously when it comes to abuse and neglect, than adults, which I think is usually bad because kids are telling their angry, fussy side of the story.

Blur

iPimp
Most i ever got was bare ass spankings from my dad and my grand parents used to hit me with switches (thin green sticks that hurt like a mother....)

I plan on hitting my kids. And my wife....

Jk on the wife part. Lol

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
As a kid, I used to be a bad ass, I did everything that I shouldn't have done and I got lots of beatings but since I got older, I relised that I am too old to be a kid who whines and complains "buy me this and by me that". And now, when i go to shops, markets, I see kids who are under 5-6 and think to myself, "damn kid, you need to grow up'' and looking at him..it was looking at myself when i was little.

My parents used to threaten me a lot as a small kid but as I got older, they stopped using them. now, I just ask if I can get something..if the answer is no..I stick with it..not just whine and cry my eyes out.

But Other parents who have nasty kids should give them a beating. No parent is to be embarrased while their kid cries and whines..or whatever they do

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
Who knows. She may be into that sort of thing.

Hoosier.
^ lol ^

Anyways I used to get beatings, boy did I get beatings, for the most part it sets kids straight, well when you disipline them from a young age. I doubt it would work when its already set into there mind they can do everything. As a product of the beating method I think it works and really do believe that parents should hit there kids when they do something wrong.(I problably wont be saying this 5 years ago.)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Riddick, was that mom white? I know it's not right, but there's always that stereotype that only white parents give in to their kids' complaining and whining, and other races don't take shit from their kids.
Yeah, she was. Don't apologize though, it is usually the case. I applaud black people for giving their kids the proper punishment.

My parents used to beat me, but after I grew up, they quit and began using words. Beating an older kid would probably just make things worse. Reasonable physical punishment is an excellent way to get smaller kids to learn what's right and wrong. I think it sticks in their heads better.
Yeah, I can agree with beatings into an older age and that it helps as a younger child.

I've heard many people say that America is overprotective of kids. People will listen to kids more seriously when it comes to abuse and neglect, than adults, which I think is usually bad because kids are telling their angry, fussy side of the story.
Yeah, it is rather silly that we always take a child's word over an adults, but then again, you can't trust a lot of adults either.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
When I was a child my father was arrested for child abuse several times. He was a harsh, brutal disciplinarian to my brother and myself. His idea of discipline usually included a closed fist beating that resulted in black eyes, bloody noses, and split lips. Because of this I was firmly convinced that I would never hit one of my children. I believed that I would only use the 'time out' method and that would be enough. Well, after a few short years of trying that method without success I decided that moderate corporal punishment wasn't such a bad idea. I haven't ever 'beaten' on of my boys, but I sure have smacked ass hard enough to get their attention. In moderation it works for my wife and I to use this type of punishment. My sons are well behaved and it's very, very seldom that I have to resort to it anymore. In fact I'm not exactly sure when the last time was that I had to smack one of them on the ass.

Hoosier.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
When I was a child my father was arrested for child abuse several times. He was a harsh, brutal disciplinarian to my brother and myself. His idea of discipline usually included a closed fist beating that resulted in black eyes, bloody noses, and split lips. Because of this I was firmly convinced that I would never hit one of my children. I believed that I would only use the 'time out' method and that would be enough. Well, after a few short years of trying that method without success I decided that moderate corporal punishment wasn't such a bad idea. I haven't ever 'beaten' on of my boys, but I sure have smacked ass hard enough to get their attention. In moderation it works for my wife and I to use this type of punishment. My sons are well behaved and it's very, very seldom that I have to resort to it anymore. In fact I'm not exactly sure when the last time was that I had to smack one of them on the ass.

Hoosier.
Wow this makes my beating seem like slaps on the wrists, my beatings were plentiful but never with this type of force. Im guessing you became really well behaved when you where younger.