• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What would your reaction be if your life was like the Truman Show?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
For those who have seen Truman Show, discuss and for those who have not, read below.

Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey) lived his entire life, since before birth, in front of cameras for The Truman Show, although he is unaware of this fact. Truman's life is filmed through thousands of hidden cameras, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and broadcast live around the world, allowing executive producer Christof (Ed Harris) to capture Truman's real emotion and human behavior when put in certain situations. Truman's hometown of Seahaven, is a complete set built under a giant arcological dome, populated by the show's actors and crew, allowing Christof to control every aspect of Truman's life, even the weather. To prevent Truman from discovering his false reality, Christof has invented means of dissuading his sense of exploration, including "killing" his father in a storm while on a fishing trip to instill in him a fear of the water, and making many news reports and "commercials" about the dangers of traveling,
What would you guys do?

I would be shocked and also embarrassed at some of the stuff that I have done over the years and definitely have trust issues. It would absolutely break me.

Danno

Registered Member
There have been many occasions in my life where I have thought this to be a possibility. I still do as a matter of fact.

Mainly when things are going wrong all day and I think to myself surely this much shit could not happen to one person without it being a set up.

I've fallen over stuff before when i was convinced nothing was there.....I've been out and about and have been convinced people are staring at me....call me crazy haha.

If I was to find out it was true I think that because I've already thought about it in my head, I probably wouldn't be as shocked about it as you'd expect.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
My friend used to always talk about this at school. She was a bit obsessed with that film, I think.

I've never considered it to be a possibility BUT, hypothetically, I would be mortified. I don't like most kinds of attention and having my whole life, including private stuff, be public is just terrifying for me. Not to mention everything I ever knew being a lie. If all my family are paid actors, I don't wanna know about it. Just let me continue to live in ignorance until I die on screen.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I've always wanted to know what it would be like to be famous, so upon entering the "real world" I'd probably try to soak it all in. I like my privacy too, though, so I'm sure it would get old quickly.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Pretty sure I'd freak out. Finding out everything I thought I knew was a big lie would break my heart. Especially my relationship with my boyfriend.. Finding out he was an actor after everything we've been through would destroy me.
I wonder if I'd be suicidal..

Danno

Registered Member
Since reading this thread, I've had time to think about it.

I actually think i'd be a little relieved. Not to put anyone in a sour mood but I'd say I've actually only enjoyed about 15% of my life, and to find out most of it was a set up would make sense to me.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I think I would find myself in a mental hospital after finding out all my life was a trick and a show.
I'm sure I would need psychiatric help.

Sometimes I get paranoid. See, the wardrobe, drawers, beds and almost every furniture at home is made by a carpenter that mom knows. He's a young man. I always thought to my self "What if he put a hidden camera somewhere near the bed or the drawers ..?"

The thought freaks me out.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Once I found out what was going on I would be continually worried someone was watching me. I would see all commercials as lies, since we know commercials aren't misleading and would have problems trusting. It would also bother me that people have been watching everything that I have done.