What would you like to see change?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by andrew_bishop, Sep 12, 2007.

1. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

I was watching a show on the NHL network last night where they talked about various moves that could be done to improve the game overall but I was kind of shocked that they rejected any emails that fans sent in BEFORE they even read them. Now I think as fans we should atleast have our views herd because without us there is no NHL.

On that note , What would you like to see change in the NHL?

I would like to see the one point for an OT loss gone. If a team loses I don't think they should get any points. Take the Ducks last year , If they didn't have the points for OT losses they wouldn't have made the playoffs. That's kinda bad when you really think about it.

Another thing I would like to see gone is the new penalty system. I think with some of the calls that are being made were just slowing down the pace of the game to much and its getting boring and were basically sending a guy to the box for doing nothing wrong but just touching another player with his stick when a few years ago you could almost do anything and get away with it.

One last thing I would like to see change is not really big but I'd like to see if goalies were allowed to be captains in the NHL. It's dumb why they can't and guys like Brodeur and Kolzig who both have been dedicated to their teams for their whole career don't get a chance to be the captain when they should deffinately be. Im not saying all teams have to make their goalie the captain but I wouldn't mind atleast letting teams have the option there.

What are your thoughts?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

1. Fewer teams
    2. no more shootouts
    3. fewer teams
    4. get rid of the new penalty system
    5. fewer teams

oh and did i mention fewer teams? 30 is too many.

oh yeah and last but far from least - GET RID OF BETTMAN!!!

3. andrew_bishop

I feel so dumb for forgetting a couple of those Jeanie.

LOSE BETTMAN.

That's on the top of my list for sure.

As well I also like the idea of losing:
    -Anaheim
    -Nashville
    -Tampa Bay
    -Carolina

And more teams.

4. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

The shootout is for the fans, no reason to get rid of that as the people LOVE it.

I think we should keep the overtime loss gets a point. That creates a better overtime and a more exciting one. In the past everyone dicked around in OT because they were more concerned with getting one point and tying, then trying to get the win. I wouldnt mess with that.

Biggest thing is getting rid of teams. I heard Bettman wanted to add MORE Teams. What a joke that is. The league is washed up and Canada needs more teams.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

We can ask for a lot of things to be different, because the game still needs improvement.

Personally I'd like to see more Canadian teams, just because it would make the game that more exciting, because Canadian fans love hockey more then anything else, and are one of the best fans of the game.

I would also like to see the instagating rule taking out, it's so stupid and ridiculous.

6. andrew_bishop

The OT point should be taken out because like it's been said teams know that they get atleast one point in OT so they can screw around and don't really care but if its down to either two or no points then I think both teams will be fighting hard the whole period trying to get that one goal.

7. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Fully knowing that many of these are impossible;

1. Adopt the international rink
    2. Contract and/or move teams from warm weather cities to Canada
    3. Get rid of the trapezoid, a shape with no business in any sport
    4. Continue to reduce goalie equipment
    5. Eliminate the shootout
    5a. Replace shootout with goalie fights

I think the point for an overtime loss should be kept, especially if shootouts are eliminated. If both teams know that they get 1 point for either a loss or tie once they're in overtime, they'll both be taking more chances since a mistake costs them nothing.

Oh, and most importantly, #6. bring back the Whalers!

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

i wish i could double rep you, one for goalie fights, one for bring back the whalers.

definitely the goalie equipment needs to be reduced.
    signed,
    still bitter about 2003 and JS Giguerre

9. andrew_bishop

Well if we keep at the pace were going were gonna lose all fights let alone having goalie fights brought back. But I guess there's nothing really saying goalies can't fight. Aint it just the same five minutes that we'd see for any player fighting?

The shootout apparently adds more excitment to the game so we won't lose that but if it was up to me that'd be gone. I find it useless.

10. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

Yes, though I think fighting penalties are still served by another player. The suggestion was more that after the OT period, the goalies would be brought out the center ice to decide the game by the fight, and was of course not serious (even though goalie fights are awesome).

You're right, most fans do like it, and it therefore won't be going anywhere. It's just too bad the NHL has to resort to the equivalent of home run derby to draw fans (as opposed to perhaps getting a TV deal with a major network, including paying for airtime for a couple seasons if they have to).