What would you do?

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by AnitaKnapp, Aug 11, 2009.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

So, I got on my company's intranet to see exactly how much vacation time I had.

I currently have 72.4 (64.4 if I take the full 8 hours of missing work yesterday) hours and will accumulate 48 more by the end of the year. I can only carry over 40 hours into the new year...so this means that I roughly have to take 2 weeks vacation before the end of the year.

So here are my options:

I could go ahead and take a week's vacation next week (if my boss approves it) but I won't be able to go anywhere. It would be nice to have a week off so that I could continue my spring cleaning/organization, etc. Also, my neighbor is gone to Michigan for 2 weeks, and I have to watch her pets (which is why I can't go anywhere). However, the extra time to clean would be awesome, because that particular neighbor has a carpet cleaning machine, and I could use it while she is gone. I could use it while she's there...she has no problem loaning it to me...but it would be nice to go ahead and do it now.

The problem is...that if I finish all of this cleaning/organizing before the week is out, I might get bored and not be able to go anywhere because I have to watch her animals. She has 2 cats, and her son has turtles and frogs that I'm feeding...so I have to be there at least once a day.

So if I take it now, I risk not having anything to do and being bored for a couple of days...because I think the cleaning/organizing would take at least 3 full days. If I spread it out, it may take the entire week, but that's not guaranteed.

Would you go ahead and take it and get things done, or wait until it's possible for you to leave town if you want? My family lives 3 hours away...so it's possible to leave for a day trip...but that's 6 hours of driving in 1 day.
    I would have another week of vacation before the end of the year, but I would probably wait until later in the year to take it.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

what if you took 3 days next week to get your cleaning done, then in another couple of weeks take a long weekend to go see your family? I think that's what I would do.

3. AnitaKnapp

The truth is that I would like to take an entire week at one time...because if I only take a partial, the boss is crazed with getting things done and he makes me stressed out...plus he bitches the whole time about me leaving and things not getting done...plus I would end up working extra for the days that week that I did work...and then I would still have the problem of having too many hours of vacation available. He would talk me into working late so that I could do everything before I left, which would completely defeat the purpose. lol

4. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

pfft...2 weeks is nothing, i need to use a month before the end of the year or else I'll lose mine cuz we can only carry over 360 hours and they won't pay it to me like I used to be able to do when working on the floor. i'd go ahead and take it. you'd be surprised at what things you think up when your cleaning is done.

5. AnitaKnapp

You can carry over 360 hours? WOW

Our company caps at 40, and managers can't carry anything over.

6. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

one of the perks of being a state employee...my sick leave is capped at 1500 hours which im over as well.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

What I would do is take the week off and if you happen to get severely bored then have some friends over after you're all done cleaning and just hang out for a long long time.

Either that or you can go and try to beat the all time donkey kong 64 record :lol:

No but seriously, I'd take the week off and just go for it, do whatever you want (other than going on Vacation)

8. AnitaKnapp

It is true that I would never get bored. I can always find something to do. I just wanted it to be productive vs. me laying about playing video games all week. lol

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Take a week now. There's nothing better than a week of me time, well you time. It's amazing the things you find that need doing when you have a week off so I don't think you'd get bored. Besides, you have the internet and your xbox after you've run out of cleaning.

Anyway, you could easily take two days away to see your family...feed the animals the morning of the first day then head off, stay over night and head back the next day and feed them when you get back.

10. AnitaKnapp

I wouldn't be able to do that, because I have a dog. She's normally the one that watches the dog for me while I'm gone. I'd hate to see the excrement mayhem in my apt if I tried to do that. lol

Also, I talked to my boss, and I'm going to go ahead and take it. Fell on a good week too, because I'm going to have people calibrating my TV on thursday.