What would GF have done? (The Dark Knight Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bliss, Aug 24, 2008.

?

Do you vote to press it?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No

76.5%
  1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

This is a dilemma taken from The Dark Knight. Please don't click the spoiler if you've not seen it yet and don't want to know anything about the film. If you've seen the film or you have no intention on seeing the film, then please continue reading.

There are two ships loaded with explosives and each ship has been given the detonator to the other ship. Each ship is told they have 15 minutes to blow up the other ship and save themselves, or their ship will automatically blow up after the 15 minutes. The ships have no communication with each other or anyone else, and if anyone tries to escape the ship will be blown up.

The people from GF are on the civilians ship and you've all been told that the other ship is full of criminals.
    Hybrix stands up and asks everyone to vote on it. Do you vote yes to blow up the other ship, or do you vote no and face the consequences?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008

2. Sarra91

Sarra91 Registered Member

I'd have done the same thing as in the movie. Tossed it out the window. I'd rather kill myself than know I had caused even pain to someone else.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

with seeing the movie and having dramatic irony on my side, I'd choose to not blow up the other ship. Knowing that the Joker is behind it, I'd assume that the detonator on each ship is for their own ship. So, no, I wouldn't blow up the other people. Though it would be tempting.

Mirage likes this.
  4. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd have tossed it out the window too. Each detinator would have been for their own boat. Even though I can be selfish I wouldn't want to risk killing hundreds of others.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I have little faith in humanity. With the Joker equation aside (ie: trick detonator situation) it wouldnt take much for me to vote yes. In reality this isnt hollywood, people will defend themselves when the real chips are down. I may feel a little bad during and a little after, but the moment I walked off that boat and into the arms of a loved one I really think from then on it would only be a few trippy thoughts every now and then about my final decision. Also! Those people had Batman to trust, please tell me what Superhero/Vigilante we have roaming the streets plotting an epic rescue?

6. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

seriously, the scene where he throws it out the window is probably the best scene ive ever scene. Perfect. Like...shit. I would like to think I would have done the same thing, but I guess I wont ever know.

7. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

No, like some others I would assume that the detenator was for our own ship, I was expecting that to happen in the film actually. Also in that situation chances are you are going to die either way. You may aswell go out knowing that you didn't want any part in hurting others even if it was to save yourself.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What would GF do?

I think Hybrix would put a poll to organise our votes. Then we'd all log in and vote. In the poll thread we would all be arguing. One group would have a philosophical debate because they cannot really make a decision but want to feel they're participating and they matter.

Another would have a political debate (the liberals and conservatives would disagree, how shocking). The dilemma would be blamed on George Bush's stupidity and the war on Iraq. The Europeans will say "If we stayed in Europe, this would not be happening to us".

Another group would ask for the statistics of the other boat. How many immigrants are there? How many have entered illegally? Padd would ask, "How many Italians are there?" Were they accused wrongly? Which leads to another debate on immigration and the justice system.

Then another group would insist that only those with 100 posts can vote and decide. The VIP members would say their vote should count twice as much than others' votes. Others would say that the vote should be weighted according to seniority/tenure at GF. Then former FC and original GF would have an argument about the cut off for considering tenure. High posters would argue that levels and activity in the past 30 days matter more.

Lovers in the boat would not care about voting. Time is short. So they all decide it's best spent having sex. Nothing like dying after an orgasm. The religious folks would be praying instead of voting. Some of them would sit calmly in one corner and say, "Things are happening according to God's plan. Peace." with a smile on their faces.

Others will just be in complete panic. You'd hear stuff like: "What will happen to my spree?!", "Kill them, they're gross!", "If we all had guns this wouldn't be happening to us!"

ValentinSelezynov will miraculously resurface and will convince everyone to join his moon religion. He guarantees that those converted will never die, even if our boat ends up blown, because the aliens will come and help.

Echoes will be sitting quietly playing MsPacman. He has to reach his 500k quest. Swift and Vegito will find comfort in thinking that even if they die in a few minutes, they'd die knowing they're Awesome. Chaos will finally come out of the closet. Mal will change his avatar every minute because he still has several he hasn't used and he wants to use them all before we all die. EXQ will play the trumpet (reminiscent of the string players when Titanic was sinking). And I'll probably spend the time writing what could be my last Gfisms entry. But yeah, given that my motto is "When in doubt, Don't move"...I won't be voting in the poll.

But where's the detonator? Some noob has it and thought it was a cute looking gadget. He wonders what it does, presses it, then....BOOM! Stupid effing noob.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

LMFAO

I wouldn't push the button, I would just toss it out the window. I wouldn't be able to kill a boat load of people.

10. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

Wish my ex girlfriends parents had been as understanding as you!

I suspect the detonators were for their own ships also. That's what I'd have believed had I been there, which would have left me really confused. Push it and we probably die or don't and we probably die anyway. Kill yourself or be killed. Not much of a choice! The risk is still there though and I wouldn't like to have voted them to their deaths. I'd probably have voted no but perhaps when I really did have my life on the line, I'd feel differently. Even if the situation was as it said on the tin.