What went wrong with WCW?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Everyone remembers that the Monday Night Raw Wars were classic, and WCW always got better ratings then the WWE, but then the company just started going down hill, so many problems happened within the company.

So what do you think went wrong with WCW, it went so bad that they had to shut down.

2. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

I think they weren't making enough to keep the show on, so WWE capitalized and moved in for the kill.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

WCW didn't create new stars like the WWE did. It was always Hogan, Nash, Hall, Luger, Sting etc etc.

The only one they really did create was Goldberg and they finally gave Benoit the belt towards the end before he left. The company was run by monkeys in which they would be writting the script for the show as the show was going on. They didnt have any direction and the only reason they ever challenged the WWE was because of Ted Turner's back pocket.

4. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Two words: David Arquette.

Seriously, though, there was a lot more to the collapse than Vince Russo's crack-addled and often inexplicable booking. Luring stars like the ones kd mentions away from the WWF didn't come cheap. Bischoff, with the full faith and credit of Time Warner suits reaching right up to Ted "I'm a shpasheman!" Turner himself, spent profane amounts of money to draw the talent in. He also made the mistake of giving top workers too much creative control, leading to frequent squabbles and confusion.

And let's not sell Vince McMahon short. The competition was a fight for his life and lit a fire under his ass that I wish he still had today. It seemed there was no angle too shocking for him to approve, no promotional aspect that he wouldn't put money on (remember the XFL? The WWF race car?) In his mind, he probably takes all the credit for WCW's demise - and he's half-right. True to his huckster nature, he instinctively pulled out all the stops, and he came out smelling like mon-naaay. At some point the competition started quietly 'papering seats' in large numbers so their venues would be full. When you start giving something away, it's hard to sell it.

Once word got around that the budget was overextended, the locker room became a nasty place. Visible cracks began to appear in the promotion's fabric. Jericho walked, soon to appear on WWF TV in one of the greatest debuts ever. Hulk Hogan was fired in the middle of the ring, making his feelings about the company known in the process. (Some say this was a work, but Hogan legitimately filed a defamation lawsuit against Russo as a result of his mode of dismissal.) By this time (early 2000), the writing was on the wall and some of us were tuning in to Nitro just to watch the clusterfuck unfold. In desperation, the company brought both Russo and Bischoff back in April, only to see their stock sink further. Bish walked after Russo, thinking that he was giving 'his' fans the controversy they thrived on, made some uncalled-for remarks on and off camera about Hogan. The smell of death was in the air.

Chunks began to fall from the WCW facade with alarming regularity. Negotiation after negotiation fell through. Bischoff had a buying partner in Fusient Media Ventures, then he didn't. The new head of Turner Broadcasting under the recently-formed AOL Time Warner umbrella didn't care for pro wrestling. it was announced first that WCW was going to a more wholesome image (not sitting well with fans, who could enjoy all manner of perversion on Raw and Smackdown) and then programming was unceremoniusly yanked off the air. The trademarks, tape library and some contracts were put on the block and VKM was right there to snap them up. Testament to the overall incompetence involved was the fact that AOL Time Warner was still beholden for the majority of worker contracts, as well as for all pending lawsuits.

Here is your winner and still champion: Vincent... Mc... Mahon!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
    Millz likes this.
  5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

There's not much I can add to that post Tucker, rep, and well said my friend.