• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What was your reaction when WWF bought WCW?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This as to be one of the most shocking things to ever happen in the Wrestling business, I'd put it second behind the Chris Benoit incident.

Now I'm just curious what your thoughts were when you found out that the WWE had purchase their rival company WCW.

Were you happy?

Were you sad to see WCW folding?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I was one who despised We Can't Wrestle. When I saw Shane's puffy face emanating from Nitro on that Titantron, I peed a little.

Looking forward to him doing it again. ;)

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I enjoyed having two wrestling options, as I do now, so I wasn't exactly thrilled.

That being said, it was fun and I was completely surprised! When they were on both channels I was just in "wtf" mode.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Honestly, it was so long ago that I can't even remember my reaction. But, like Tucker, I was never a big fan of WCW so I thought the change was for the best. Nothing quite like buying out your competition at any rate.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I was excited. Thinking about Sting, Goldberg and maybe the nWo being on RAW and Smackdown. Instead what we got was the invasion angle...

Konshentz

Konshentz
Bittersweet. Glad that WWE "won" and sad to see WCW go. Like Wooly mentioned, I thought all of the good talent from WCW would get a place on RAW and Smackdown. The Invasion angle nearly destroyed my love for wrestling.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
MY first reaction was a shock factor I couldn't believe that the company that as battled WCW for a couple of years have bought his biggest competition.

Then after the shock factor died down I was extremely excited about the possibilities that it would do to the WWE but instead we got the Invasion Angle like wooly said. But I don't blame the WWE for not being able to get Sting since he wasn't ready to join the company, and Goldberg didn't want anything to do with the WWF at that point and time.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I was extremely happy when I saw Shane on WCW Nitro even though it was quite obvious it was going to happen. Being an avid wrestling fan back then I salivated at the possibility having the great WCW on WWF television everyday monday. And, unlike everyone else I really enjoyed the invasion angle...it definitely could of been way better but I wasn't disappointed with it.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I was extremely happy when I saw Shane on WCW Nitro even though it was quite obvious it was going to happen.

Would you say that WWE--excuse me, I mean the inexplicably estranged and unaffiliated Shane McMahon--taking over TNA in 2010 is obvious now?

Anthony1975

Registered Member
I was pretty much like everyone else, excited because I thought we would see matches such as Goldberg v Stone Cold, Sting v Undertaker etc but alas Vince fucked up.