What was said behind closed doors in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If this news is true, it's certainly not good news.

Barack Obama met with Iraqi government officials behind closed doors during his Iraq tour in July. What was discussed then had remained a secret until recently. Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari went on the record to say that Obama apparently asked them to wait until the next president was elected before discussing US troop withdrawal. To the public Obama has been saying we need to bring the troops home as soon as possible, but behind closed doors he's asking the Iraq government to stall negotiations with the Bush administration so that the troop withdrawal before November doesn't hurt his campaign and his own political career.

Here's an actual quote from the Iraqi foreign minister:

And some sources:

SEN. BARACK OBAMA WANTS TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ, BUT WANTS A DELAY IN NEGOTIATIONS FOR REMOVAL - New York Post

Move America Forward Freedom PAC

Obama Camp Confirms Treasonous Actions on Iraq Trip

BARACK DENIES USING STALL TACTICS WITH IRAQ - New York Post

Before you try to pass it off and say it's not true, Obama's campaign has already confirmed it, seemingly by accident. They couldn't really lie about it considering that there were 4 people in the room when Obama said these things.

It would seem that Morigi's quote confirmed that Obama did in fact try to get the Iraqi's to stall negotiations regarding US troop withdrawal until after Bush leaves office. So.... Obama MAY be guilty of violating the Logan Act which prohibits private citizens from negotiating with foreign governments in regards to war related strategies, decisions, etc in an attempt to influence the foreign government. Not only a felony, but possibly treason.

The McCain campaign has already issued a response:

The big news corporations have yet to pick up on this story BUT if it's true Obama seems to have flushed his political career completely down the toilet.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Your thread title is incredibly misleading and your sources are dubious. I'm surprised this is coming from you, Hybrix.

More fear and smear if you ask me.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Sounds to me like we have a fit. Unfortunately I know his slimy ass will get away.

LII: Constitution

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. Mirage

Had I posted about some upcoming Palin news that may or may not be true I highly doubt anybody would have complained. It's a potentially large story that is currently breaking. Whether it's true or not remains yet to be said but I don't think I was biased in my portrayal of the story.

As for my sources, has the Iraq Foreign Minister has been known to make up huge epic lies? If that was true then why would Obama even talk to him in the first place?

There was a question mark in the title for a reason... and did you not see the quote from the Obama campaign? If that quote was in fact FALSE I think they would be making more of a fuss about this. You can't just pass this off. I never said it was true or not. In fact I made it clear that it wasn't confirmed 100%. It's a growing story on the internet and has already begun to hit bigger news outlets. It deserves further exploration if you ask me.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Yes, it does.
    This is not some pot smoker claiming that Palin is really the grandmother. This is the Iraqi Foreign Minister.

I can't see where this would classify as treason, but really the opinion of the generals, the safety of the troops, the will of the iraqis. He will throw all that away to make himself look good and get elected?

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

After reading all the articles I find this very flimsy.

The NYP articles are the only ones that hold any relevance (the first and last article). I am sorry I stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh a long time ago...and the other article just refers to the NYP article.

Granted Obama's campaign responded of course they would and even if this is true (which I highly doubt) treason would be a bit of a stretch...a five mile stretch...

If this affects and ruin's Obama's political career and campaign for president I will dress up like a school girl and sing "Im a little teapot". I will record the video and post it on youtube.

When this is on CNN, Newsweek, Time, New York Times, LA Times, etc I will believe it. The NYP articles just highlight the information was leaked to them...

Jeanie likes this.
  7. Blur

Blur iPimp

sounds like some shit he'd try to pull...whatever, I hope it is true because people are voting for him for the completely wrong reasons. He needs to be shut out before he actually somehow gets office and fucks this country all the way up.

8. Mirage

Like I said, I'm not defending or supporting the rumor. I do think it's a big enough rumor that it's worth discussing and exploring further, as I pointed out.

And on a side note, that would be epic. :lol:

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I thought Bush took care of that already?

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

The Post is a worldwide joke. Got anything from a real, respected, legitimate news source? The closest I could come to one via a Google news search on the FM's name was (sadly) FOXNews, and their story said that Obama denied ever making such a statement.