What TV series are you currently watching?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
As the title says.

Also, what new TV shows are you looking forward to see this year?

I have a lot. I use an app to organise my watch list and calendar.

Some ongoing: Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, Americans, Wayward Pines, in a few days - Orange is the New Black. Looking forward to Designated Survivor.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Person of Interest has consumed my life, and I now hate CBS for fucking it up and not treating it right. They have so many shit shows and they go and cancel the only good one.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Person of Interest has consumed my life, and I now hate CBS for fucking it up and not treating it right. They have so many shit shows and they go and cancel the only good one.
What?! Really? How sad. I hope they finish the season correctly and not like some cliffhanger-cancelled episode.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
What?! Really? How sad. I hope they finish the season correctly and not like some cliffhanger-cancelled episode.
If you want to know more about it just read this article.

The Triumphant Rise And Mysterious Fall Of "Person Of Interest"

It's really shit how bad the show runners were treated here, CBS is a nightmare. POI is one of the most intelligent shows I've ever watched, I'm way more invested in it now than all other shows I'm watching, including Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc. POI comes out on top for me, now it's being ripped away from us before it's time.

There are a few online campaigns to try get another Network or Netflix to pick up the show.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I am a POI freak. It is the best show and has been the most poorly treated show on tv. Some of the best episodes and story arcs of any tv show. For me, the episode that introduced Shaw still blows my mind.
The music is fantastic. The show has actually introduced me to artist that I listen to all the time: The Kills, Jetta, Black Keys. I'm so bummed its going off the air after this season.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I am a POI freak. It is the best show and has been the most poorly treated show on tv. Some of the best episodes and story arcs of any tv show. For me, the episode that introduced Shaw still blows my mind.
The music is fantastic. The show has actually introduced me to artist that I listen to all the time: The Kills, Jetta, Black Keys. I'm so bummed its going off the air after this season.
I honestly believe that Root is one of the most interesting, unique and well-written characters to ever be on TV. I love them all, especially Shaw and Fusco, but I pretty much watch the show for Root. If I'm being honest, I found the first 2 seasons hard to get through, and for me the highlight episodes were the ones that she was in.

Season 3,4 and 5 I've been fully involved in, whether she's in an episode or not.

Imagine a spin-off show set before the events of POI, that followed Root as an elite hacker/assassin for hire, I would watch the shit out of that.

And yeah Shaw's entrance was an amazing episode. I find it rare for shows to be so consistent with writing characters with some form of mental illness or anyone not neurotypical, but they do it so well with her. They never push her character to be overly emotional because they know that's not her. The only time we really see true emotion is in her subconscious which is so clever.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't watch a ton of TV, so I usually only have one or two shows going at a time.

Currently only watching Game of Thrones and The Americans, both of which are amazing.

And then I've been watching Sons of Anarchy on and off on Netflix, but I got kind of bored of it after season 4.

Looking forward to Mr. Robot season 2 this summer. I think Ray Donovan might be starting soon as well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sadly, there are no television series that have my attention right now. It hasn't been that way since Sons of Anarchy ended, which is sad.

But, luckily for me, I'm addicted to sports, so there's always a game on when I need it most.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I honestly believe that Root is one of the most interesting, unique and well-written characters to ever be on TV. I love them all, especially Shaw and Fusco, but I pretty much watch the show for Root. If I'm being honest, I found the first 2 seasons hard to get through, and for me the highlight episodes were the ones that she was in.

Season 3,4 and 5 I've been fully involved in, whether she's in an episode or not.

Imagine a spin-off show set before the events of POI, that followed Root as an elite hacker/assassin for hire, I would watch the shit out of that.

And yeah Shaw's entrance was an amazing episode. I find it rare for shows to be so consistent with writing characters with some form of mental illness or anyone not neurotypical, but they do it so well with her. They never push her character to be overly emotional because they know that's not her. The only time we really see true emotion is in her subconscious which is so clever.
That's interesting because on the CBS facebook page most people complain about poi after Samaritan which is the seasons you like. I'm mixed. Some of the Samaritan episodes have been too sci-fi but when its going well such as season 5 and much of 4, its a great story arc and some of the best episodes.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That's interesting because on the CBS facebook page most people complain about poi after Samaritan which is the seasons you like. I'm mixed. Some of the Samaritan episodes have been too sci-fi but when its going well such as season 5 and much of 4, its a great story arc and some of the best episodes.
The creators of the show always wanted it to be an epic sci-fi, a battle between two all-knowing ASI's. I've read a lot of interviews with them. The only problem was, CBS didn't want that. They didn't want this big serialized sci-fi show, they wanted a procedural show where each week the team saved a new number. Due to this, the showrunners had to almost sneak the show they wanted, into the show that CBS wanted.

It's honestly kind of a mess, but you can definitely see a shift in the seasons. Season 1 and some of 2 play out almost like any old cop/detective show. And honestly that was boring as shit to me, there's already so many other shows like that, and I almost gave up on the series altogether. But then Samaratin happened, and then they had my interest.

The producers and directors were finally telling the story they wanted, but still focusing enough episodes on "numbers" to keep CBS happy. The only problem with this is, the fans are drawn. Even though I have no idea why personally, a lot of people liked that procedural "number of the week" format that the show was in. So this subtle change into an all-out sci-fi drama has really split the fans as can be seen on their FB page. Their FB page funnily enough has sadly also proven how homophobic much of the POI crowd is.

I'm personally just happy that the creators are finally telling the story they wanted to all along in season 5, even if they had to condense it due to the number of episodes being cut.

Through all of my reading, I've not managed to find why exactly CBS just wanted another run of the mill cop show, instead of an epic sci-fi. I guess they thought the cop show format would be safer for the viewing numbers which is sad. The show could have been so much more if they didn't waste so many episodes on numbers.

A quote from vox.com that I feel nicely sums up what I'm talking about here.

"No series is harder to convince people who might like it to watch than Person of Interest. Throughout its five-season run, it’s always been locked away on stodgy old CBS, which viewers often associate with case-of-the-week crime procedurals, rather than visionary science fiction tales of the rise of artificial intelligence and death of personal privacy. But Person of Interest has offered just that, as its story of a computer that helped identify crimes about to happen slowly grew into a story of the risks involved in turning over more and more of our tasks to creations that don’t always have our best interests in mind. Now, as the series enters its fifth and final season, it is firmly about a war between two artificial super-intelligences for the future of the planet, and this last set of 13 episodes will hopefully wrap up that story in the sort of bloodily fitting fashion Person of Interest is known for."

Last edited: