What "Sports" Are Not Sports?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Mirage, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What "activities" that are widely accepted as sports do you not count as sports?

A big one for me is golf. You can be 100 pounds overweight and still be great at it. You drive carts around instead of walking so you don't even have to be in good walking shape.

I think it's absolutely not a sport because it doesn't require any sort of physical fitness besides practicing. Learning to point a mouse on the computer requires practice too and that's also not a sport. Golf is a social activity at best.

I also don't consider things like pool or poker to be sports. Yet they both show up on ESPN from time to time.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

You can be 100 pounds overweight and be a good shot putter too. There have been overweight baseball and basketball players over the years, not to mention football.

What you describe as golf, riding around in carts, is comparable to going to the playground to play HORSE with a couple friends. Sports can be both recreational and competitive.

To me, the biggest difference between a game and a sport is that a game is purely mental, while a sport is at least part physical. Playing scrabble, chess, or poker is purely mental. Hitting a golf ball or throwing a dart requires physical skill.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Hitting a golf ball requires muscle memory. Moving a chess piece requires physical movement too.

Look at bowling. It's been 90% reproduced in a videogame. Golf too.

Just because something requires physical skill doesn't make it a sport. It could be an activity but it's not necessarily a sport.

And for the record, I don't consider the shot put a sport either.

Maybe my idea of sports is hand in hand with athletic sports. Basically if something is not athletic then I don't consider it a real sport. If you can get good at it without any physical training of any sort besides practicing a motion then it's more of an activity than a sport if you ask me.

4. gmash

gmash Registered Member

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

How you move the chess piece has no bearing on the outcome of the game. You can type a command into a computer or have someone else move the piece for you if you have no arms. Golf requires more than just muscle memory.

What videogame? Wii Sports? I can assure you that's nothing like playing real golf.

Physical skill + competition = sport

Yes, I do still think it requires no physical skill. It's just quick mental processing.

6. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never considered boxing as a sport, beating the hell out of someone to the point of knock-out is a sport?

Also horse racing is not a sport either in my eyes.

It's an interesting concept though, what's the difference between a game and a sport.....passion!!

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

'Boxing is definitely a sport, the things they go through before a fight is just unbelievable.

I agree with Echoes, Chess takes no physical skills to play.

I don't know if you actually played golf before Hybrix, but I think your not giving enough credit. It's one of the hardest things to play in my opinion.

I think Golf is definitely a sport.

I was wondering Hybrix, do you think running the 100 meter or 200 meter is a sport?

8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My favourite, snooker, is defined as a 'cue sport,' but I guess lots of people would argue it's more of a game. I think snooker is more of a sport than pool, which I'd consider a pub game. About 90% of americans I've spoken to have no idea what it is though. I don't mind it being called a game at all, I don't see it as a criticism and I'm not even sure myself what to call it. I do know it helps to be physically fit to play it though. I think there's one overweight guy on the circuit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've always felt Golf shouldnt be considered a sport. Even after falling in love with it, I still dont feel it should count as a sport.

And its not because of lack of effort, golf takes tremendous effort... I mean look at it like this, I've played competitive hockey for the most part of my young life... and the first few times I played golf... holy hell I was sore. Even to this day a solid day of walking on the links can be more of a workout than alot of sports.

But still I just cant bring myself to consider it a sport. I dunno, maybe its because I think its better than a sport. Its a serious challenge against yourself rather than other people competition.

Bowling is the other one I dont consider a sport :hah:

10. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Boxing takes huge physical exertion and tons of strategy (watching fighters previous bouts, working out a gameplan) and horse racing is one of the original olympic sports (which many people would consider to be the ultimate definition of a sporting competition)

People can be passionate about anything though. I could be passionate about hop scotch, but you'd be hard pressed to get people to call that a sport. I'm sure jockeys and boxers are very passionate about what they do aswell! :p

I hate the sport/non sport argument. I often find that people just say the sports they don't like aren't sports. It comes across as some sort of... macho argument. I think anything that takes skill, whether mostly physical or mostly strategic, in competition against another individual or team is a sport.

I think the only one that i wouldn't consider a sport is chess. And that's simply due to the fact that the greatest chess player in the world was beaten by a computer. If you can pre-program a machine to win at a game, then i don't think it's a sport.