What social norm should be removed?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For example, many people believe men should not be drinking "girly" drinks.

In your opinion, what social norm should be removed from society?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
This norm

Person A: How are you?
Person B: Good

Half the time people are not doing well and are expected to say they are. We know in most cases the person asking doesn’t actually care. Person B would look like a pessimist if they said they weren’t doing great anyway.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This norm

Person A: How are you?
Person B: Good

Half the time people are not doing well and are expected to say they are. We know in most cases the person asking doesn’t actually care. Person B would look like a pessimist if they said they weren’t doing great anyway.
I agree, I'm asked how I'm doing a lot lately, I say okay when really I'm not. I don't think they really want the truth. Not most of them anyway.

danwiz

Registered Member
Hilander, you are so very correct, they ask, but don't truly care a bit. Then there are the ones who tell you that "let me know if you need anything, I'm here to help" and then you go to them for something - thinking that they are a good enough friend so that they actually meant what they said - and ask them, for example, "can you help me sell my husband's rifles, I don't know a thing about the value of them?" Then what do they answer? "Oh, gosh, I'm awfully busy at work these days, plus I too don't know much about rifles, can't you find somebody else to help?"

There is a social norm of letting people get away with publicly disrespectful behavior. Things like cutting in line at the checkout, having lengthy, loud cell phone conversations on public transit, profusely cussing in a family restaurant, standing with someone directly in the middle of a park path or at the end of an escalator chatting, etc. I've often said that what we tolerate, we condone. People seem to be afraid of appearing rude by rebuking someone for publicly being an ass or afraid of 'getting into it' in public with the ass in question. If people continue to let unacceptable behavior go unchallenged then it will become socially acceptable and we will all be worse off for it.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
"If you were a real man..."

This simple statement can be used against men in any case really, but more for the social norms of the past such as "real men don't cry, show emotion, etc". I believe the merit of a real man is to be yourself yet still comfortable enough to express your worries and woes without the repercussion of this very statement. It can be damaging to a lot of men who are simply running on empty and need to vent, but will always be chastised for doing so.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
"If you were a real man..."

This simple statement can be used against men in any case really, but more for the social norms of the past such as "real men don't cry, show emotion, etc". I believe the merit of a real man is to be yourself yet still comfortable enough to express your worries and woes without the repercussion of this very statement. It can be damaging to a lot of men who are simply running on empty and need to vent, but will always be chastised for doing so.
Similarly “man up” is a phrase that’s overused. I believe there are some acceptable and even necessary applications of the phrase but it’s grossly overused and used incorrectly pretty frequently.

Most men are far more emotionally fragile than you’d ever know

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’d be just fine if society did away with shaking hands. So few people wash after using the restroom and the idea of shaking stranger’s hands when you meet them seems like a great way to get all those germs... 😫