What should I do?

Read the post, Then tell me which is the best option.

• Total voters

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Ok so my desktop computer is about 6 years old. I've upgraded it a few times. I've replaced the CD-RW drive, one hard drive, video card twice and I added 512MB of RAM. As of now it still works, but the RAM is going bad and I have RIMM RAM, which is as about common as a hens tooth to find anymore. I can get it, but its expensive. The clocking speed on it is great, but I've been having a lot of memory problems with it lately. Anytime I try to run a graphic intensive game (DoD, Sim City 4, Half Life etc...) I get the blue screen of death within the first few minutes that says something about a bad memory module and a win32.dll error or something or rather. The other hard drive is also begining to go bad too. I took it down to a local computer repair guy who runs the buisness out of his garage. He's a good guy, with good prices. He gave me a few options... and I need help with what is the best option.

1. He can replace the motherboard to a newer one that runs DDR2 RAM, and duel processors. That would run me about $400 for repairs.
- The problem with this is my computer is getting old and I'm liable to have more problems down the road. This would resolve the high graphic game issues.

2. He could sell me a refurbished used one for about $500 with monitor, keyboard etc...
- Same as above, older computers have problems. I could still play games.

3. I could get a new cheapo box computer from Wal-Mart for about $500
- It'll be new, I wont have problems with it for a while. But I like to play gaphic intensive games. Box computers are made more for the average idiot who doesn't know what the internet is, let alone how to play a game. They aren't designed to play games.

4. I could get a really nice new tower (only) from the internet from one of the big computer sites (Alienware) for about $900. I already have surround sound speakers, monitor, mouse etc...
- It's expensive, but It'll last me for a few years and I can play my games again without problems.

What is the best option? Edit: I voted so I can see the results

Last edited:

green8659

Registered Member
If you have the money I would go with the $900 from Alienware. It will be good as is for longer and will be upgradable for later. You can only upgrade that 6 year old machine so much before everything is new and you are spending a lot on it anyway. Refurb could still have problems. If you have the cash get the new one.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I despise refurbished things.

Upgrading the MB with new memory sounds like a plan if the latest video card is somewhat new but then you'll still have to get another HD which is an inevitable process anyways. But $900 for just the box or the entire thing with monitor? I dunno.

Cheapo box from Wal-Mart depends on what they are selling. Wal-Mart here sells Acer and something else which isn't too bad but I still don't like them.

I build my own boxes and a few friends as well getting the parts either off ebay as I go along when I see something or straight off of newegg if I want it right then.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
If you have the money I would go with the $900 from Alienware. It will be good as is for longer and will be upgradable for later. You can only upgrade that 6 year old machine so much before everything is new and you are spending a lot on it anyway. Refurb could still have problems. If you have the cash get the new one.
I could get either that or a nice new Gateway for $749, but that includes the monitor and all that other crap I don't need. They don't sell just the tower, but Alienware does. $900 is a little on the pricey side for me. I'd love an Alienware (It would fit my needs nicely) I could afford it, but i'd be rolling pennies to get it. Each option has its positives and negatives :-/

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Go with option four, spend a little extra money that way you avoid spending more down the road.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I'd say option 4

But if you're going to do that to get a better gaming computer make sure to get the correct things.

DDR2 RAM
SATA Hard drive
At least a 256mb video card (PCI Express only)
At Least a dual core processor (Athlon X2 or Core 2 Duo is good don't go with pentium dual core)

Hope that helps :D

Blueyes

Registered Member
Now see I've had nothing but problems with SATA drives and won't buy them anymore. Every single one I've had has failed and finally I just stopped replacing them because I was tired of calling the company who didn't even ask what was wrong with it after the 3rd one and just started sending me drives because it was still under warranty.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Now see I've had nothing but problems with SATA drives and won't buy them anymore. Every single one I've had has failed and finally I just stopped replacing them because I was tired of calling the company who didn't even ask what was wrong with it after the 3rd one and just started sending me drives because it was still under warranty.
What company did you go with on your sata? because I have at least 8 sata drives none of which have ever gone bad ever not a single one.

What motherboard do you have that might affect it too.

Industrialis

Registered Member
That's a bummer of a problem. Sounds like you've got pretty serious motherboard or RAM issues. If you're overclocking your motherboard by changing the settings in the BIOS, it can cause memory timing errors. But if you haven't messed with any of that, I'd say you either have issues with your RAM or the chipset on your mobo. I wouldn't spend any more cash on rebuilding your current system...especially if your hard drives are going bad too.

Usually, it's a good idea to buy the most power you can afford NOW. Waiting to upgrade later ends up costing you more in the long run. By the time you're ready to upgrade, the parts can become scarce and more expensive, or it may simply be cheaper to buy a new computer than spend the cash on upgrades.

That said, if you're looking to replace an entire computer, get something with a nice warranty. Alienware makes some pretty awesome rigs. But so do other companies -- check out your options before you buy. Hope that helps!