What should I charge for laptop repairs?

MSP84

Hello all, I have recently begun trying to get into the IT field in some way or another. I do not have any certifications as of yet and my degree is in no way related. However, I have worked tech support before and have been the go to guy for friends and family for years so I am decently competent when it comes to fixing computers.

So I have responded to an ad on Craigslist and have had the job clarified to me. He said they sent out 30 Dell laptops and 7 have malfunctioned. He would like the following done to them:

(1.) Format Hard Drive
(2.) Install Win Xp or Vista with Service Pack 2 or 3
(3.) Microsoft Office Package
(4.) Recent Anti Virus Software with (Free Lifetime Updates)
(5.) Adobe Acrobat
(6.) Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard drive, cd & Dvd rom, floppy Disk.

That isn't really all that much work and I would have a week to complete that on 7 machines. This will be my first time officially doing something like this. So that leaves me with a few questions.

1) Is this a scam? Supposedly he sends them to my house, I fix them, they get picked up, and I get a check. Is this a standard procedure? Does that sound fishy? He claims to be from a large, reputable, international charity group but there are several grammatical errors in his emails that makes me somewhat suspicious.

2) What would be a reasonable rate for me to fix the 7 laptops? Can I not charge as much since I don't have an A+ cert or anything?

Thank you for any input you may have to offer on this.

Matt

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
The work is simple, I don't see why he should send them to you in order to get the job done. One week also seems like an awfully long amount of time for the work. I've also never seen a laptop with a floppy drive.

I would respond and accept. After all, you have nothing to lose. Your certification should have nothing to do with how much you charge. There's no need to be certified for simple tasks like these. See how much a professional usually charges and charge slightly below that price.

Last edited: