What should be the home and away colors for the NHL?

What should be the home/away jersey scheme for the NHL?

• Total voters

silencedPPs

Registered Member
Remember the old days when the home teams used to wear the white version of the jerseys and the road team wore their dark ones? Well at some point after 2000 they changed it so that the home team is always dark or alternate dark and the road teams are wearing their white jerseys. Sure it's been changed for awhile, but everytime I tune in, it takes me awhile to pick up who's who because something just doesn't seem right about it. I don't know, maybe it's because the home ice is white and I expect the home team to be sorta like a continuation of their own ice. Or maybe it's because the dark jerseys give the team an advantage in picking each other out and I think the away team should have this on their side since the home team already has their home fans on their side. Either way, it's years since they've made the change, and I am STILL totally uncomfortable when it. Will they ever go back, I wonder. Should they go back? Well that's what this poll is for. Asking you what you think they should do.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really watch or even follow hockey anymore, but when I do see it on it really bugs me that the home team is in their dark jerseys. I don't get why they changed it. I think they should go back to the way it used to be.

Turbo

Registered Member
I like the current style. Albeit it took me awhile to adjust. This allows each team to be unique on home ice. The Original 6 only wore the colors, no white, which is why the Rangers got the nickname "Broadway Blueshirts".

Wearing your own color at home gives uniqueness to each teams home ice and fans.

silencedPPs

Registered Member
There we go. I knew there was some logical reason they might have decided to change it, but I couldn't think of it when I made the post.

That is the one true thing about the dark jerseys. They're uniquer than the whites. But then again, if you're the home team, is it really that important to look unique? It's you're own fans. You know who you are. But not everybody's going to know all about the other team, and when the other team comes into town, it's kinda useful to see who they are.

I didn't knwo that about the original teams before. I guess they must have abandoned that and went to the dark/light system for broadcasting convenience.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Technically the old days they wore the dark jersies and the away team wore the white. That's how it was originally and then they changed it back to home team wears white. So in reality they went back to the old way when they had the away team wear the white.

Slippery Jim

Registered Member
i think I'm in favor of Home: Dark Away: White right now, because i think the fans should be able to see their own team in their color jersey. Idk, but i think it's fine the way it is now....and maybe it would be nice if the home team got to pick whether they wore color or not, just like they decide whether to go first or second in the shootout

Turbo

Registered Member
i like the dark jerseys for the home because it makes each city a bit more unique as you come in a visiting team. prior to this all the homes wore white, meh-boring. now there's more distinction among the teams; except teams with similar color schemes.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
I think all this has to do with hockey losing popularity and trying to appeal to new fans who don't even know their own local team and come in once to watch a game. Those people need to see the darks at home because they're not used to watching their team's away games on television like all the bigger fans are. And that's probably all they're ever going to see if they only go to one game.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Really though, theres a flaw. The old style was Dark at home white for away. This was changed when the big boom of expansion teams entered the league making it more difficult with less corporate support for the trainers to keep the white jerseys clean. So Dark Jerseys were used on the road instead due to their ability to hide blood and sweat stains.

Me personally Im a fan of the white at home. When I first started watching the NHL this is how it was and this is what Im used to. IMO the whites just look better. But thats just an opinion.

Turbo

Registered Member
the home jerseys were white when i started watching also. at first i missed the white home setup, but truthfully i think the colors at home work better all around. it gives teams their own home distinction.