• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What should a government provide?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Basic question, let's try to be nice about it.

What do you think a government should provide in terms of services, goods, etc. to its people? If you believe in a different form of government than your own, explain what it is (theocracy, democracy, communist, dictatorship? Who knows).

What say you?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
The federal government= military protection from foreign invasion, military potection of national interests around the world. The enforcement of laws that guarantee an equal chance to succeed, ie Title VII, the equal protection clause, etc...the enforcement of immigration laws. They also have a duty to regulate interstate commerce. The enforcement of laws regarding health and safety, the EPA.

Local and state government= anything the populace decides.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Mostly military protection. It is much of why any government body even evolves. Domestic policies that uphold a citizens' liberties. Law enforcement for protection of body and property. Prosecution of criminals. Aid to the handicapped, elderly, and abused. Services for natural disasters and other crisis'.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The federal government= military protection from foreign invasion, military potection of national interests around the world. The enforcement of laws that guarantee an equal chance to succeed, ie Title VII, the equal protection clause, etc...the enforcement of immigration laws. They also have a duty to regulate interstate commerce. The enforcement of laws regarding health and safety, the EPA.

Do you believe it works best that way? With two governments essentially? I know it's a silly question since we live here and that's how we do things, but is there any other way you think would work? I won't lie, I like having states but sometimes I think it divides our country.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
In Canada, we have the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government. Municipal is the governments of the towns and citys etc. They're in charge of things like roads and property taxes, and firemen and all the smaller city specific needs. Then the provincial governments are in charge of things like schools, recreational parks, and a bunch of provincial specific things. The federal government is the all of canada government. Laws, immigration, military etc etc.

I've always felt that this was a great breakdown of government, and that it served the people the best. Each province handles things a bit different than the next because of different exports, different cultures of people (ie. french in quebec, lots of asian descent in BC). Each province has different needs, and so each province should be able to handle those things differently.

The government should provide all the things that they provide. However, the government should have the power to step in without having to talk to the people each and everytime as well. The point of the government is to trust them to govern us after we elect them, because as a mass, people can be dimwitted. One government helps keep the country running smoothly, making a single decision about things, despite when the country is super divided on an issue.

dDave

V.I.P.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -George Washington
The federal government= military protection from foreign invasion, military protection of national interests around the world. The enforcement of laws that guarantee an equal chance to succeed, ie Title VII, the equal protection clause, etc...the enforcement of immigration laws. They also have a duty to regulate interstate commerce. The enforcement of laws regarding health and safety, the EPA.

Exactly I feel as if the federal government should provide things that are more generally dealing with international affairs (and very unanimous national interests) while the state governments should each take care of their individual state, states are so much easier to govern than the entire country and it gives the opportunity to have much more specific governing (if need be).

I think that the federal government would be so much better if the senators and representatives actually focused on representing their people rather than simply gaining power.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Do you believe it works best that way? With two governments essentially? I know it's a silly question since we live here and that's how we do things, but is there any other way you think would work? I won't lie, I like having states but sometimes I think it divides our country.
I do because local government are more responsive to people's needs. Their actions are more likely to be a true reflection of what the citizenry want.

I can see where it can be divisive in a way, but so does a strong national government. What some in the Northeast want for example, may not be what those in the Southwest.

Let me also say, at the local level, whatever the populace wants, so long as it doesn't violate the Constitution. In other words, the way the SCOTUS interprets the 4th amendment is how states should too. A state or a municipality cannot grant less freedoms to an individual than the federal government does.

Wade8813

Registered Member
IMO, most (if not all) of what a government should provide are things that individuals can't do for themselves - emergency services, military, infrastructure, a judicial system, etc.