What? No tax law?!

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I listened to George Noorey on XM radio last night. He had a very interesting show about tax law.

Did you know that there is NO LAW requiring Americans to pay federal income tax? There is a couple held up in their New Hampshire home surrounded by government agents because they refuse to pay taxes on the basis that it’s not a law. Either way these people were convicted of breaking a NON-LAW in court and were sentenced to 5 years In prison. Mind you again there is NO LAW requiring you to pay taxes.

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=43750

So I ask if there is no law, why are they in trouble and have a 63 month sentence in jail?

The system favors the government. The courts are in fear of being shut down by the federal government if they rule in favor the citizen over the government. I mean after all it is those tax dollars that pay for the courts. Does anyone see something wrong about this? The government is a bunch of thieves taking our money and wasting it on frivolous stuff, welfare, prisons etc… things we would never give our money for if we were to give it up directly.

I ask again why people are going to jail for not breaking a law???

I suggest a major overhaul of the federal tax system.

L

Libertariangoddess

Emily and Ed Brown are the couple. The feds claim that they owe back-taxes from emily's dental practice. The feds seized her office last week.

There would be no need to have an income tax, if they would charge tariffs on foreign businesses wanting to be in the U.S.

T

Technocrat

The idea that there's no law providing for an income tax collection is a myth. Period. A myth that just won't die like the cockroach in the back of your refridgerator.

Yes, it is a low. No, income tax is not illegal. They are not getting out of it becaues there is a law. This is about as silly as the 9/11 conspiracy websites or the people who argue there was no moon landing.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The Internal Revenue Code was passed by Congress and is law. It says explicitly that you have to pay a federal income tax (assuming you owe one). Furthermore, the Browns were given a trial by jury. They were found guilty by their fellow citizens. I wouldn't believe everything you hear on the radio. Especially if it comes from a radio show that dedicated part of yesterday to talking about "a Reptilian race which lives underground and first came here over 800,000 years ago".

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I enjoy the non-biased, credible source that "Free Market News" is. Think they got, I dunno, an agenda?

The IRS was created to collect income tax, it is their purpose. A law is not necessary.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
The idea that there's no law providing for an income tax collection is a myth. Period. A myth that just won't die like the cockroach in the back of your refridgerator.

Yes, it is a low. No, income tax is not illegal. They are not getting out of it becaues there is a law. This is about as silly as the 9/11 conspiracy websites or the people who argue there was no moon landing.
Find the law for me then.

The Internal Revenue Code was passed by Congress and is law. It says explicitly that you have to pay a federal income tax (assuming you owe one). Furthermore, the Browns were given a trial by jury. They were found guilty by their fellow citizens. I wouldn't believe everything you hear on the radio. Especially if it comes from a radio show that dedicated part of yesterday to talking about "a Reptilian race which lives underground and first came here over 800,000 years ago".
I will admit that some of the stuff they talk about is a little out there. A lot of times he talks about normal things like taxes and the war towards the end of his show. It just happened to be one of the things he talked about yesterday. It made clear sense yesterday about there being no set tax law.

Look at these websites.
http://www.givemeliberty.org/POST-HEAR2/Findings.htm
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Ed+Brown+says+feds+have+no+jurisdiction+in+New+Hampshire&articleId=844a9c5f-5475-4d71-a149-102ea693ee4b

E

enjoy

I'm as much against income tax as the next guy, but, well...here it is, the federal codification as presented by the U.S.C.

26 U.S.C. § 1
There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every individual . . . who is not a married individual a tax determined in accordance with the following table:
[[table]]

(If you are married, you are covered by the similar provision at § 1(a). There are also a couple of other possible filing statuses covered elsewhere in § 1 (such as “head of household”), but the basic point is that section 1 imposes an income tax.)

26 U.S.C. § 61
[G]ross income means all income from whatever source derived, including (but not limited to) the following items:
(1) Compensation for services, including fees, commissions, fringe benefits, and similar items;
(2) Gross income derived from business;
(3) Gains derived from dealings in property;
(4) Interest;
(5) Rents;
(6) Royalties;
(7) Dividends;

26 U.S.C. § 6151

[W]hen a return of tax is required under this title or regulations, the person required to make such return shall, without assessment or notice and demand from the Secretary, pay such tax to the internal revenue officer with whom the return is filed, and shall pay such tax at the time and place fixed for filing the return (determined without regard to any extension of time for filing the return).

26 U.S.C. § 6012(a)

Returns with respect to income taxes * * * shall be made by the following:
(1)(A) Every individual having for the taxable year gross income which equals or exceeds the exemption amount * * *.

26 U.S.C. § 6072
“[R]eturns made on the basis of the calendar year shall be filed on or before the 15th day of April following the close of the calendar year.”​

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I'm as much against income tax as the next guy, but, well...here it is, the federal codification as presented by the U.S.C.​

26 U.S.C. § 1

There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every individual . . . who is not a married individual a tax determined in accordance with the following table:

[[table]]​

(If you are married, you are covered by the similar provision at § 1(a). There are also a couple of other possible filing statuses covered elsewhere in § 1 (such as “head of household”), but the basic point is that section 1 imposes an income tax.)

26 U.S.C. § 61
[G]ross income means all income from whatever source derived, including (but not limited to) the following items:
(1) Compensation for services, including fees, commissions, fringe benefits, and similar items;
(2) Gross income derived from business;
(3) Gains derived from dealings in property;
(4) Interest;
(5) Rents;
(6) Royalties;
(7) Dividends;

26 U.S.C. § 6151
[W]hen a return of tax is required under this title or regulations, the person required to make such return shall, without assessment or notice and demand from the Secretary, pay such tax to the internal revenue officer with whom the return is filed, and shall pay such tax at the time and place fixed for filing the return (determined without regard to any extension of time for filing the return).​

26 U.S.C. § 6012(a)
Returns with respect to income taxes * * * shall be made by the following:
(1)(A) Every individual having for the taxable year gross income which equals or exceeds the exemption amount * * *.​

26 U.S.C. § 6072
“[R]eturns made on the basis of the calendar year shall be filed on or before the 15th day of April following the close of the calendar year.”​

This is all tax code, not law. That's the issue. There is pleanty of stuff saying we have to pay taxes, but there is no law.

R

rozzlapeed

The 16th Amendment to the Constitution was added to allow the collection of income taxes. It's ratification is commonly contested in various ways by anti-income-tax protesters in order to challenge the constitutionality of federal income tax laws, but such arguments have not held up in court.

16th Amendment - Wikipedia

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
The 16th Amendment to the Constitution was added to allow the collection of income taxes. It's ratification is commonly contested in various ways by anti-income-tax protesters in order to challenge the constitutionality of federal income tax laws, but such arguments have not held up in court.

16th Amendment - Wikipedia
The IRS believes, and in turn has convinced us, that the 16th Amendment is the law that allows them to tax earnings. That seems perfectly reasonable given the language of the Amendment.

The simple explaination is in what it doesn't do, rather than what it does do. 1. It does not permit any taxation on the income itself.
2. It doesn't create any new power to tax outside of what was allowed by our Constitution.

Something like the sales tax is on the privilege of selling at retail, and not on the income. Legally, the name of the tax means nothing.