• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV What makes you stop watching a show

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Here in the UK it is likely this will be the last year that Channel 4 & E4 can show Friends due to the license being up. I have seen almost every episode of the program and despite thinking it went on for a bit too long I still will watch it when it is shown but their are many shows that do overstay there welcome.

For you what makes you stop watching?

A few things do annoy me and make me stop:

Repeated story lines and no acknowledgement that they have been done before

Long lost relatives being introduced for a specific time and situation but are never seen or heard of again

Flashback episodes that aren't quite flashbacks

I am sure I will think of more...

ATARIGUY

Beermister
Stupidity like on Green Acres when Lisa Douglass stated commenting on the Directed bys and Written bys during the shows opening credits which drove me NUTZ so I stopped watching it.

BigBob

Registered Member
Whenever a main character is taken off.

We'll take Two and a Half Men for example. I might watch one episode with Charlie Sheen not on the show, but I probably won't watch it anymore after that because him and the kid made that show.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I usually won't stop watching a show, even if it has totally gone down the drain. By the time a show has run out of ideas or lost its touch, I will have spent too much time in it to quit before it's concluded/cancelled. It's a problem I have. :-/

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I stop watching shows when the original cast gets replaced and the new cast is shit. If the show loses the humor it had, I stop watching.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I usually won't stop watching a show, even if it has totally gone down the drain. By the time a show has run out of ideas or lost its touch, I will have spent too much time in it to quit before it's concluded/cancelled. It's a problem I have. :-/
Same here. I don't have many examples because I really don't watch a lot of TV at all, but I have the exact same loyalty issue.

I think if it was a newer show, I'd be most likely to stop watching if it switched the channel or time that it aired. I'd just forget about it and not bother to change my routine. Dumb reason, I know.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I have a great example - Skins. Why did they have to change the original cast? Sure, they were getting older but their stories could have gone on for much longer than they did.
I gave the third series a chance to see what the new cast were like but it was dreadful. And they have changed the cast AGAIN for the fifth series. I didn't bother watching that one.

I doubt they would change the entire cast in many shows as I don't see the point. But that is the only thing that would stop me watching something I enjoy.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I don't watch a lot of TV shows (unless you count anime). I usually watch everything on hulu, download, or buy dvds. I canceled my cable 6 months because I wasn't watching anything.

Time is probably the biggest factor honestly. If I don't have the time to watch TV shows I just stop watching.

Anime is pretty much the only thing I will go back and watch at my leisure.

I rather play video games than watch TV so if I don't have much time for video games I will stop watching all TV.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
If a main character leaves. I'm not sure if i will keep watching Misfits when Nathan leaves; he makes that show and he's not even getting a proper send off.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I know what you mean, Pugz. I was going to mention that but I think I will still watch. I love Kelly too. Nathan was by far my favourite and I want to see what this new guy is like.