• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What makes a sport a sport?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How do you define sport (In your own words. Don't give me a dictionary definition). Is auto racing a sport? What about golf, cheerleading, figure skating, etc?

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
The more the performance of a sport is based on the individual will/performances/effort, the more of a sport it is. The more it is based on other factors beyond the individual's control, the less of a sport it is. Also, in "sports", the individuals impose their will/performance/effort directly against their opponent's will/performance/efforts (or NOT directly against their opponents, but with comparison to their opponent's scores). Unfortunately, a lot of this is extremely influenced by the work they do OUTSIDE of the competition instead of just inside it. The best sports (in my opinion) will localize the effects of the performance pretty much to the events that the spectators see right before their eyes, NOT what they do back in the locker or weightrooms (which is one of the reasons why Steriods are wrong to use, because they make the sport LESS about the individuals' performances and more about the substances they use to enhance their abilities).

With this definition, the following things are examples of sports:

baseball
football
hockey
lacrosse
basketball
boxing
ultimate fighting
olympic wrestling
tennis

golf
running (any type)
pole-vault/hurdlejumping/shotput/etc

and the following would NOT be sports:

auto racing
gambling
figure skating
professional wrestling
cheerleading
battlebots
anything that involves luck / subjective judging / dependence on machines

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree for the most part. I think there are two big things that make something a sport.

1. It must require some sort of physical skill, such as swinging a golf club. Moving a chess piece is not physical skill.

2. The scoring must be objective and based on fact. A touchdown in football is always worth 6 points. Anything that requires a judge, such as diving, gymnastics, figure skating, etc, is not a sport.

If something doesn't have both of those characteristics, then it's not a sport in my opinion.

Teorropy

One of the most important things that make a sport to me is, they compete in it. If you compete in it, then to me it is a sport, it may not be widely know or paid or even a school sponsored sport, but to me it is a sport.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I think that a sport is considered a sport depending on the level of physical activity involved in the performance of said sport.

Going off of Vega's list, I would call the following sports:
baseball
football
hockey
lacrosse
basketball
boxing
ultimate fighting
olympic wrestling
tennis
running (any type)
pole-vault/hurdlejumping/shotput/etc
golf (Only a sport if walking the course, not hitting ball and then riding cart to ball.)

figure skating (Competions only. Figure Skating for charity, or benefits is not a sport, because there is not a Figure Skating winner)
cheerleading (Competions only. Cheerleading on the sidelines of a game is not a sport, because there is not a cheerleading winner)

auto racing (I consider a sport, because of the physical endurance involved in driving a car at high speed and length of time, and because everybody is on a pretty level field. Not allowed to use extra specials (eg. NOS)

and the following would NOT be sports:

gambling
professional wrestling
battlebots
almost anything that requires physical activity but does not have a winner by earning it. (Are probably some exceptions to this)
anything that does not require physical activity

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
blackstorm said:
One of the most important things that make a sport to me is, they compete in it. If you compete in it, then to me it is a sport, it may not be widely know or paid or even a school sponsored sport, but to me it is a sport.
So thumb wrestling is a sport? Bingo is a sport? Beer pong? By your definition, life itself is a sport since everybody is competing against eachother for jobs, money, etc.

Sword_Hunter

Registered Member
Well some people consider thumb wrestling a sport(even though I don't). Well just because some people consider things a sport but to them they are.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
So thumb wrestling is a sport? Bingo is a sport? Beer pong? By your definition, life itself is a sport since everybody is competing against eachother for jobs, money, etc.

:lol: actually.... it may sound odd, but under MY definition, "thumb wrestling" actually would qualify as a sport, provided that there were a definate way to define and quantify victories. But Bingo obviously relies on PURE CHANCE, and "beer pong"? WTF???

Also, life itself isn't a sport, but still has the qualities that make sports playable. People don't get jobs just to "compete" with each other. That's the ignorant republican's view of life right there. Even in a world where we all had good top of the line jobs with 6 figure incomes, there would STILL be some jobs that pay better than others, if for nothing else, then just by virtue of their circumstances, design, and importance to society alone. There will always be "poor" jobs relatively speaking. So to view some as worse than others is naive. There can be "less pleasant" ones, but never worse ones.

Also, I think what Buckeye said about objective scoring based on fact is right. A sport has to be unarbitrarily quantifyable. Nomatter how much physical activity is involved, if the winner is judged subjectively or there is no winner, then it's not a sport because there's no "competition", only judgement.

Sword_Hunter

Registered Member
I think that what makes a sport a sport is the enthuastic players and the spirit of competition. I have played a few sports in my day and I admit that I was a little well lets just say that I got Pissed Off easily.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
00vega said:
:lol: actually.... it may sound odd, but under MY definition, "thumb wrestling" actually would qualify as a sport, provided that there were a definate way to define and quantify victories. But Bingo obviously relies on PURE CHANCE, and "beer pong"? WTF???

Also, life itself isn't a sport, but still has the qualities that make sports playable. People don't get jobs just to "compete" with each other. That's the ignorant republican's view of life right there. Even in a world where we all had good top of the line jobs with 6 figure incomes, there would STILL be some jobs that pay better than others, if for nothing else, then just by virtue of their circumstances, design, and importance to society alone. There will always be "poor" jobs relatively speaking. So to view some as worse than others is naive. There can be "less pleasant" ones, but never worse ones.

Also, I think what Buckeye said about objective scoring based on fact is right. A sport has to be unarbitrarily quantifyable. Nomatter how much physical activity is involved, if the winner is judged subjectively or there is no winner, then it's not a sport because there's no "competition", only judgement.
You've never played beer pong? It's a drinking game obviously, and it's a sport according to blackstorm's sole requirement of "competition".

And that part I underlined, that means hockey isn't a sport, because 25% of the games end in ties, which means there's no winner.

Sword Hunter, you remind me of Freakazoid from PDC.