• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What makes a shithole a shithole?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Numerous places are known to be shitholes. Some are infamous, some have gathered disrepute like it's going out of fashion. Others are even deemed shitholes by their own citizens. I've known quite a few who dislike the place they live, or perhaps not dislike it, but still believe it to be the aforementioned shithole.

But what makes a shithole, a shithole? I suspect the may be a number of contributory factors. Things like:
Massive crime rate
Eyesores
Generally under-maintained
A lack of public services
Crass or ignorant citizens
Tower blocks
Congestion
Pollution

And probably a lot more. However, what factors do you take into account when deeming somewhere a shithole? Perhaps you had a bad meal there, or perhaps you were mugged there. Maybe unappealing landmarks are enough for you to point at the place and state that it is "a ginormous craphole, shat onto earth by Satan himself."

Is there anywhere in particular you would call a shithole? And why?

Please generally discuss 'shitholes'.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
The first apartment that I got when I moved out of my parent's house was a shithole. Alot of illegal immigrants strolling around the complex, beer cans all over the parking lot, and nightly robberies. Also another reason why this place was a shithole is because my downstairs neighbor was a drug dealer and you can hear his door knocking every 10 minutes from his customers in the middle of the night. Not to mention a bullet missed my bedroom window by 3 inches one night from a drive by shooting. That place was a shithole.

Dabs

Registered Member
The first apartment that I got when I moved out of my parent's house was a shithole. Alot of illegal immigrants strolling around the complex, beer cans all over the parking lot, and nightly robberies. Also another reason why this place was a shithole is because my downstairs neighbor was a drug dealer and you can hear his door knocking every 10 minutes from his customers in the middle of the night. Not to mention a bullet missed my bedroom window by 3 inches one night from a drive by shooting. That place was a shithole.

OMG.....and here I was thinking if I saw a cockroach, that would be a shithole to me!
Good for you.....lucky for you!...that you moved.
Hope you didn't live there long~

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
OMG.....and here I was thinking if I saw a cockroach, that would be a shithole to me!
Good for you.....lucky for you!...that you moved.
Hope you didn't live there long~
I moved out after the drive by and I told the apartment complex that I won't honor there contract due to safety issues and I had that right do so due to the contract. They said ok, moved all my shit and moved into The Woodlands and it has been very peaceful ever since. The apartments were very nice but it was the people that made that place trash.

P.S. There were roaches in the apartment as well.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
I moved out after the drive by and I told the apartment complex that I won't honor there contract due to safety issues and I had that right do so due to the contract. They said ok, moved all my shit and moved into The Woodlands and it has been very peaceful ever since. The apartments were very nice but it was the people that made that place trash.

P.S. There were roaches in the apartment as well.

That's good to hear!
I would have been terrified, and The Woodlands sounds like a nice place, the apartments I live in are called Westwood.
I don't think I have ever lived in a 'shithole'......had some crappy ass landlords in the past tho.
But as far as the dwelling, I don't think any were that bad.
However, I did live across the lake from 2 huge nuclear power towers (power plant)...you could step outside on my back deck, and see those 2 big monsters leering over the lake.
People would ask me if I was ever afraid they might blow up :lol:
I said if they do, I'd be the first to go, so I wouldn't feel a thing.
That's about as close to a shithole I have lived in~

Dekzper

Registered Member
Where one of my uncles lives. I've only been there twice and he has a really awesome house but he lives close to a really nasty neighborhood with trash everywhere. They've had drive-by shootings there and tons of vandelism, prolly drugs too. He even wants to sell his house and move somewhere else. It makes me really glad we live where we do cause we don't have things like that here. But we live in a small town and in our own house so that's prolly why.

brieze

Registered Member
My friend's old duplex was a shithole. The previous people must have tried to have a farm or something in their living room because the place was saturated with urine and general animal smells. It was bad. The landlord wouldn't do a thing. The neighborhood kids (5 and 6ish) ran around unsupervised and without pants. The kids tried to steal her dog a few times too... Just a overall shady area.