What laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by sully09, Oct 11, 2009.

1. sully09

sully09 New Member

I know this thread is a bit premature (1.5 years premature) but I was wondering. For my High school graduation my gift will be a laptop and i have 2000$ to spend on it. What should I get? I have no preferences towards apple or microsoft. The computer will be used for school mostly, some music editing (amateur guitar), some gaming, music videos, and amateur programming.

2. Jaszibabes

Jaszibabes The Instigator V.I.P. Lifetime

There is a website that you can go to where you can build your own laptop, customize it how you want it, and such. :) I'm pretty sure it's Dell. I know my aunt did it for two laptops she has now, and she loves it. Whenever I get a laptop, that's what I plan on doing. :)

3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Hmmm. from what I hear, Apples are better for music editing, etc...and PC's are better for gaming.

But you really can't make a decision now. 1.5 years will see some technological changes by then...and whatever you choose now will drop in price.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

That's so true Anita.

1 1/2 years ago my computer was a really really good computer, nowadays though it's really not that great, it can video stress test Counterstrike Source a 130 fps with all the graphics turned all the way up (that's a GeForce 8800 for you), but it's really not that fast, it has 2GB of RAM and a core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz.

What exactly are you planning to use this laptop for?

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, no decisions or predictions can be made as Anita correctly stated technology will be different a year ahead of now. If I were you, I would simply make a list of what you would use the laptop for and go from there.