• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

What languages do you speak?

dDave

V.I.P.
Anyone on here speak more than one language?

One of my greatest struggles in school was trying to learn Spanish. I don't know what it is, it just wouldn't click. I would spend multiple hours a night in high school studying spanish and while I could remember all kinds of vocabulary words, the verb conjugations and special cases never made sense to me. Neither did the structure of the language. I was so bad at it that the spanish teacher in my 10th grade class kinda accidentally laughed at me in front of the whole class.

Unfortunately, Spanish is the default seconds language in most parts of the US so it was really the only option ever offered to me. I feel I would have enjoyed a different language such as Japanese or German a lot more.

As a 98th percentile English student (according to standardized testing), it was frustrating to me to be so good at one language and so bad at another but I suppose being great at one is a whole lot better than sucking at all of them (hey, I know people, haha).

What languages do you speak?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I speak English, French, and Tagalog fluently. I'm A2 level in Spanish, A1 in Japanese (ongoing courses), and I can remember some bits of German from univ elective class. The words are mixed up in my head sometimes, I forget which language I'm using sometimes. When I travel in a non English/French speaking country, I tend to switch to Spanish (even if it's not their language, haha). Somehow in my head I've associated foreign languages to Spanish.

Knowing several languages can be quite useful but none of these have helped me when I was lost in a non touristy place in Greece or Russia (can't even read their words and no one around me spoke any of those languages). Or sometimes I want to say something and it's embarrassing that I can't find the proper word in any language - mental block. Finally, just non-verbal cues helped me express myself. #signforthewin

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
English and Spanish. I can speak a little Italian, it’s pretty easy if you already speak Spanish.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
The only language I can speak fluently is English. I know a little bit of Spanish. But I have a long way to go if I want to learn how to fluently speak in Spanish one day.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Russian and English. I even learned contractions that use appostraphes like "wouldn't". There are still words I don't understand so I google. I know some German too but it's not easy. I have to learn how to gargle and hoot.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
If I do decide to learn another language someday, I'll probably try to learn Spanish.

asp3

Registered Member
I'm one of those ignorant Americans who is only fluent in English. I took beginning French three times but it never really struck. I've also picked up a little Spanish and some Japanese but don't really remember most of it.